F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Did someone slash my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did someone slash my tire?

Okay... I was parked at school, there's a bunch of mopeds and other bikes there. I don't have any enemies at all, and my bike isn't exactly all that nice. Only noticeable mods is HIDs and carbon yosh.... nothing to get jealous about enough to stab my tire. There hasn't been a complaint about people slashing tires at the school parking lots.

After class (1 hour 15 minutes), I went back to my bike with my girlfriend and we got on. I had to reverse my bike to get out, then with my girlfriend on the back, I went over 4 speed bumps, made a right turn, went straight going up to 45 mph, reached stop signs... stopped and went.

About 500 yards from where I started at the school parking lot, I noticed the bike feel weird and it felt very unstable and slowed down a lot. I pulled over and noticed my rear tire was completely flat.

There was about 50% thread left and I noticed a 1" straight slit in the middle of my rear tire. It was horizontal. Looks like someone stabbed a knife through it.

My question is... if someone stabbed my tire at the school, would I have noticed it as I was leaving and going over those speed bumps? Some people tell me the air didn't completely get out yet until the spot i noticed it. Wouldn't most of the air come out over the speed bumps and frequent stop and goes? I also noticed that after it was flat, it was VERY hard to move the bike backwards... but reversing it when I first got on was simple.

Or did I just happen to have the worst luck ever and get flat a few minutes after I leave?

Any info would be helpful. I have to go back to school again, and I already put on a new tire. I want to know if I should be worried or not.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Did someone slash my tire?

I don't see how you would have moved the bike out of your parking spot without noticing the flat. So, I'm guessing you ran over something and it went flat where you noticed it. You had your weight and your girlfriend's weight also, you would have noticed it and really noticed it when you hit any bumps.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea mang...i don't think it was sabotaged...if there was a slit as you described it, it would leak rather quickly since the 'blade' or whatever made the cut is no longer in there.
maybe whatever you ran over got pushed all the way through!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 PM

yeah I blew out a rear tire a few weeks ago out in some twisties and the tire had about a 3/4" diagonal cut in the tread. Just weird roads man, wouldn't worry about it gettin stabbed.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM

unless the blade didnt go all the way threw the tred and the pressure of you/bike/gf on that back tire + speed pumps caused pressure to bust the rest of the tred... personaly my thoughts u probably ran ova sumtin.. show us some picx! =]

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM

I also would suspect runnin ove some thing. Tires aren't nearly as easy to just stabb through with a 1" blade. Especially on a bike sitting on a side stand. So any peronoia about an enemy should probably be forgotten. I work part time in a service station and have seen alot of wierd sh*t stuck in tires. It could be anything.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 PM

ok thanks for the all the help guys. I'm convinced it was caused by the road and not from someone hating on my bike. From now on, I'm gonna double check my tires before I ride.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM

From my experience about tires, the tires are under a lot of pressure, and it takes a very strong person to stab a tire and not have it explode in their face. With your weight and your girlfriends weight on the bike, it makes the tire more vunerable to having the pressure let out and you not feeling it. I don't think someone stabbed it, you probably hit something and you couldn't feel it. Just drive more careful when on the road, and look out for objects that could hit your tires.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 AM

I agree with others. It is much easier to "stab" a tire's sidewall than it is the actual surface as there are all of the cords in it. I would say the first clew that would have thrown you off had it been sabbotaged would be the tire slightly collapsed toward the side the stand was leaning. Hope ya get what I was trying to explain, it didn't sound that good to me even writing it. If it would have happend as you intially suspected, you would have instantly noticed it when you and your passenger started out.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Retired Moderator

It is always a bummer when you have to replace consumables on your bike. It does sound like, as everyone else has stated, that there is no foul play. If you want a silver lining, you can enjoy the excuse to buy some Diablos, or Pilot Powers. Due to school costs, I hope hope you have the budget to replace them.

Quick Reply: Did someone slash my tire?