F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Decent Tires for Communter/Occasional Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Decent Tires for Communter/Occasional Fun

Just recently purchased my 2003 CBR 600 F4i, got a pretty good deal for it. However it will need some tires soon so I'm trying to see if anyone can help me with a decent tire for mostly commuting. I don't have much of a commute but I do plan to ride it as much as possible and sometimes even a little spiritedly. I was thinking dual compound tires sounded about right but hopefully someone can steer me into a certain direction. Thanks

Old 08-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

I put a set of Dunlop Q3+'s on my bike last season. I use my bike for a bit of commuting but mostly spirited riding on twisty back roads and did a track day as well. At just over 5000 miles, I replaced the rear a few weeks ago and the front is still in good shape.

Unless you really want to push your bike hard, there are probably some good sets of sport touring tires that would serve your purpose just fine and last for quite a few more miles...

Old 08-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin pilot Road 4/5. These are dual compound and last really long but not at the cost of grip. I have done long tours, commute as well as track days on them and never did I feel they lack grip. My other bike has Pirelli Diablo Corsas and metzeler sport tec and they don't feel light years ahead to be honest.
The problem with proper sport tyres is they that even if you don't push it they'd be gone in 3k miles so the Road 4 gets my vote as a do it all tyre

Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I ride my bike to work 5 days a week, 22miles each way. I currently use Q3's. If I got any more mileage out of them I would have to replace due to dry rot before they actually wore out. I have literally no idea how people only get 5k miles from a rear. Even when I was learning wheelies I couldn't wear a rear down that fast. I normally get 8-9k from a rear and around 14k from a front, and thats with every type of michelin pilot they've made up until the 3 and now with Q3's as well.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I have literally no idea how people only get 5k miles from a rear. Even when I was learning wheelies I couldn't wear a rear down that fast. I normally get 8-9k from a rear and around 14k from a front
Man, I was so excited to that much mileage from mine! I did enjoy hammering it on the on ramps and doing the occasional high speed highway run. This next one, I'm being more consciousness about easy take-offs and only going hard through familiar twistys. We'll see how that goes!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Any thoughts on the Shinko 009 Ravens? I know you mostly hear the negatives when it comes to Shinko but looking at the reviews and video reviews, they seem to be great long lasting, even mileage wise, tires. I'm not going to any track days or trying to drag knee anytime soon. Obviously I'll be leaning but no street rossi over here. Preciate the input though guys

Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by lIVINOTAFRAID
Any thoughts on the Shinko 009 Ravens?
I put some Shinkos on my first bike (Ninja 300) and, while they were much better than the stock tires, I could feel them shifting and/or squirming a bit when cornering at higher speeds. I'd rate them as "okay". Shinkos for drag racing or dual sport? Absolutely! For a high performance road machine? I'd rather spend a little more $$$ for a much higher performing tire. Remember, your bike is keeping you upright with but two credit card sized patches of tread on the ground. I want those patches to be quality, not just "okay" or "good enough".

If you really don't push the bike hard, the Shinkos might be a good fit and worthwhile to try. Just don't risk your safety to save a few dollars!

Old 08-28-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

NO.
Thats your answer.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:29 PM

I plan to use it to commute 90% of the time, I just want to ride not drag knee lol. I've heard the Shinko's do great mileage wise and they aren't afraid to lean a little too. Which sounds like exactly what I plan on doing, I'm not going to be using the full width of the tire I know that for a fact. I understand tires are important, Anyone else with any experience with Shinkos? Rather than just NO.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Shinko are garbage.

Stick with a sport touring tire from Michelin, Bridgestone, or Dunlop (I won't use them but many others do). They will be good for the commute and do well enough on the other stuff. If you get into hypersport lines, you will not get the mileage you are looking for.

Quick Reply: Decent Tires for Communter/Occasional Fun