F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Deal's Gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Deal's Gap

ORIGINAL: doncollins

I was there the weekend of the 21st. Both Saturday and Sunday and I never saw less than 6 LEO on the dragon. Think about it, 6 but up to 10 LEO on an 11 mile piece of road. That's some serious waste abuse and fraud of tax payers money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cop basher and anything. There have been doing this all summer and I'd see two, maybe three at the most to police the speeding, but not as many as they have. That money could be better spent on buying better equipment for LEO and EMS. Maybe setup the radar gun cameras or something. That way they are stopping the speeders and not writing tickets for people holding cameras or license plate mounts. They not gunning for sport bikes, I noticed more harleys that sport bikes getting tickets. It just seems like they want bikes altogether to stop riding there.
n too think a trike thru a boat is what set it off lol they had a grant b4 the 3 deaths within 24hrs but only had like 2 cars up there from like 9 til 5 n very laid back. After a db went over a cliff n the trike thru the boat, all 3 resulting in death they went ape shyt. Still can have fun but have to be very controled n reserved.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they come in waves. Get up early, warm up the tires and make a warm up run down, if there is nothing on it, come back as you wish. they can only enter fromthe TN side and there are no access roads so if you don't see any on the road on your way to the over look, you are pretty scott free for your trip back to deals gap. Also, if they are there, take note of milage and just slow down. There were guys out there on track bikes that they put fog lights ont to make "Legal" they'de just go find a mile long stretch that was unpatrolled and open it up. One of them met a chopper head on in the wrong lane, so thats not the smartest idea, but to each his own.

and it got REALLY cold at night, like mid-high 40's. bring warm stuff to sleep in. and ride the CHEROHALA SKYWAY!! favorite road by far

Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 AM

good advice guys. I should probably try to find my registration and proof of insurance too.

Somebody told me there's more roads around there that are better and less known so I think i'm gonna save the dragon for early sunday morning. hopefully i'll get to make a run or two before the cops swarm the place. My bike has pull me over written all over it.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Take a left out of Deals Gap onto Rt 28, follow 28, great road, to 143. take 143 to what appears to be the end, it meets 129 go right on 129, there is a gas station on the right, fill up there, you're going to need it cause there is no gas for like 60 some odd miles. Continue on 129 to 143 again, its on the left, follow signs for the Cherohala Skyway. this road is Epic, can average 70-75, never saw a single officer, good rule of thumb for the corners is double the speed the sign says (if it says 30 mph corner, its a safe bet to hit it at 60, just something i noticed.) 143 turns into 165, take it into town, there is good food on the right, at either a burger stand or a place called the bistro, outside dining good burger. Now i'm not sure how to get back, personally i just turned around and did that route backwards because it was so great. fill up before you head back, there is NOTHING out there for miles and miles, getting stuck would SUCK! have fun and be carefull, stop once in a while to check out the view

Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM

make sre your tag is on the back of the tail too. anywhere else can get you a ticket up there.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM

I was there this past weekend camped at the blue ridge motorcycle camp ground was very nice during the day but it was very cold at night in a tent, takevery warm blankets and dont forget the leather.there were quite a few cops out that saturdayany other day it didnt seem quite as bad.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM

yea the gas thing kinda bothers me. my reserve light doesn't come on. I was trying to think of a way to rig up a saddle for a small gas tank on both sides of the tail so i could stash them somewhere close by just in case. I was going to use the 2 1liter sized metal gas containers for my dad's camp stove that are laying around in the basement. We are planning on making a video compilation of the weekend highlights so we'll probably have a little base camp set up with a place to stash extra gas cans and a first aid kit close to whatever road we are working on. by the way... how is cell phone reception down there for nextel?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Ace_f4i

yea the gas thing kinda bothers me. my reserve light doesn't come on. I was trying to think of a way to rig up a saddle for a small gas tank on both sides of the tail so i could stash them somewhere close by just in case. I was going to use the 2 1liter sized metal gas containers for my dad's camp stove that are laying around in the basement. We are planning on making a video compilation of the weekend highlights so we'll probably have a little base camp set up with a place to stash extra gas cans and a first aid kit close to whatever road we are working on. by the way... how is cell phone reception down there for nextel?
umm dont you know about what kind of milage you get?

I go roughly 170 - 180 miles b4 my fuel lights comes on, and then I got a good 20 miles left.

the Gap store has gas, as does the hellbender store. a few more down 28. Just top off when you get there. n use your trip meter.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM

I'll back what Itgbudeev said....gotta go hit the Cherohala Skyway. Sweet road.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM

my bike runs pretty rich. i doubt it's as good as yours. i'm not sure what kind of plugs the kid who had it before me put in but i'm willing to bet they are the cheap ones judging by the way he didn't want to pay .the 25 for ranch sauce for his pizza to feed his fathead face when we stopped for food on the way to the notory. I guess i'm just a little nervous because this is my first major bike trip so i've been trying to over plan a little. I appreciate the advice.

by the way, is there a liquor or beer store anywhere close to the gap?

Quick Reply: Deal's Gap