F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

daytona pre ride inspection

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Default daytona pre ride inspection

Hey guys tomorrow I am riding to daytona for bike week, staying for just the day.

Any tips? I am riding with a few other friends that have been there before. We are driving from orlando to daytona on some nice twisty back roads

any tips or things I should look out for while at daytona? In regards to safety, free stuff, whats the most fun, best parking, food, etc.

I know there are plenty of threads on the internet and other things, I have spent my time researching but wanna hear from you guys too.

Also at the moment I am busy but can anyone help me out with when/how the best way is to clean the chain for our bikes? I know it states it in the manual but again I want your experience and wisdom too!

My main worries for tomorrow will be finding safe parking, I have a bright orange disc lock, of course the fork and ignition lock, and a bike cable that I will use.

CHAIN CLEANING, this is what I really need help with, I recently rode the bike 500 miles up here to orlando from miami and the chain looks to be lubed up pretty good still, when I put a finger on it I get plenty of lube on it still and while riding lube is still being shot up onto my rear fender. how often do you guys clean your chain? Also I have rode this bike in light rain for only about 5 minutes in the span of this 500 miles I have added to it. Is there any thing I should look out for that indicates the chain needs to be lubed up?

THANK YOU!!!! long post I know but any help is appreciated!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Chain cleaning is easiest if you have a way to get the rear off the ground, I've got t-rex stands for my bike. Then grab a piece of cardboard and stick it between your chain and the rear wheel so when you clean it your not getting crap all over your tire and wheel. I used to use an old tooth brush and wd-40 on mine but eventually got a grunge brush which makes it go quicker. You just spray on the wd-40 and scrub the chain w/ the brush then wipe off the excess. You're cleaning the lower section of the chain and spinning the wheel after you get a section done to clean the rest. I usually pull off my chain guard and clean it and the front sprocket cover as well and get any gunk from around the sprocket. Once your done cleaning it off and you've wiped off the excess you can apply the lube, I was using dupont teflon spray you can get at home depot or lowes I think. You should clean and adjust the chain every 500 miles and it should be an o-ring chain which is lubed internally and only needs a little lubrication on the outside for the rings and to prevent rust.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM

thanks chambers! apart from cleaning every 500 miles, are there any signs I should look for that determine whether it is lubed up properly or needs to get lubed up before the 500 mile mark? (silver shining, debris, etc.)

Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM

kerosene and a rag okay?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM

just to clean atleast, not sure whether I should use wax or lube after

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Yea kerosene is fine to clean.