F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Day of purchase and now..pics of my progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brake fluid should be clear/slightly yellow. dark=old and bad. a flush is needed!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 PM

How did you order that boot-leg slip on? Didn't he stop making those? I'd really like to get my hands on the cf slip on... soooo sexy

Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 AM

Nice man! I'm real glad everything worked out for you with your bike. I know you're gonna love it bro, looks great

Sidenote: I wish my woman would even acknowledge that I have a motorcycle, she pretends it's not mine haha

Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone! Looks like I need a brake flush and fill! That and my oil change are next! FoCoCBR-I was lucky enough to find someone who was selling his bootleg slip on in California and I snatched it up! It is not a shorty, but shorter than a normal aftermarket (10'' instead of 14'') It was one of his first batches he made. Im going to have to get a bung plug for the 02 sensor though since it came off of a California bike. Cant wait! It should be here this week, Ill post pics in this thread when she arrives!

Axsys-let me know if you have time this week/end to do a brake flush as Il be doing my oil change and slip on!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 PM

So I received the bootleg slip on in the mail today and had a friend cut and spot-weld a short bolt in the 02 bung hole (ha I said bung hole) so that it is flush from the inside with no obstruction with exhaust flow. I will be installing the slip on tomorrow as well as changing the oil and bleeding/refilling the brake system. I will post pics of the bootleg installed! (The pipe was fabbed by Jim from Fuel1Racing back in the day and was personally delivered to the previous owner as I guess they were friends and lived near by) As Jim has gone through many "versions" of his pipes, this one is not a shorty but rather 10" instead of a normal 14" aftermarket pipe. Seems to be smaller in diameter as well.

Name:  DSCN0340.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0341.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  91.8 KB

Random question: Last week when I had the rims/tires apart, upon re-torquing (what I believe was) the sprocket housing bolts, 2 of the 6 or 7 bolts would only torque to 30lbs instead of the called for 60-70lbs (cant remember). Upon further observation, My buddy and I noticed that the threaded piece on the other side of the housing that the bolt threads into was moving with each turn! We didnt understand why Honda would make these "bolt threads" movable? My friend is very knowledgable on motorcycles and said that it had to be a design flaw the way the threaded piece was shaped in that it allowed this to happen (break loose)! The piece that was moving is rounded with a flat spot that is supposed to stay put when you torque the bolts into it yet 2 of the 6 or 7 "stripped" and started turning with the bolt as we torqued. Even trying to hold them with a wrench while torquing did not work. SO needless to say 2 of those bolts are only torqued to 30lbs. He said it shouldnt be an issue but to next time I need a tire change or whatever to take it to the stealership and ask them about it. Just thought I would share this and see if this has happened to anyone else? I mean we were def NOT overtorquing or yanking on them

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-20-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 AM

Edit to above post: after looking into it, I believe it was the cush drive hub. The one with 6 bolts. on the other side of the hub, the threaded pieces that the bolts thread into, 2 of the 6 move freely on me not allowing me to torque the bolts down enough. (they are circular shaped I believe with one flat edge to keep them put...but they didnt do their job ; (

Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM

So from what Ive read the jury is out on whether it matters or not to disconnect the battery before you install a slip on. The theory of that disconnecting prior to install and then reconnecting after, that the ECU will start fresh and "relearn" the A/F with the new exhaust flow. I mean im sure it may not hurt anything, but I'd rather not waste the time if it really will not make a true life difference. Your thoughts on the matter?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

its prolly not required the bike will compensate on its own but resetting the computer would mean that the bike will remap itself quicker... so its ur calll

honestly though taking a cable off the battery is like a 30 second job... might as well do it..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
its prolly not required the bike will compensate on its own but resetting the computer would mean that the bike will remap itself quicker... so its ur calll

honestly though taking a cable off the battery is like a 30 second job... might as well do it..
Alright will do then. thanks! SOrry for being a noob, but do I merely just unhook both terminal wires? Never been at the battery as of yet. Also, will my gauge clock or anything need to be reset?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Bled my brakes today and the old fluid looked like **** from a dehydrated horse. Also found a "bung hole" plug sticking out about 2 1/2". Gotta love previous owners.

Quick Reply: Day of purchase and now..pics of my progress