CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Dare to cut M4 pipe? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/dare-cut-m4-pipe-105145/)

njdpb22 01-22-2010 04:54 PM

Dare to cut M4 pipe?

I got a all chrome M4 pipe on my F4I, and im thinking about cutting it down a little shorter. This exhuast remindes me of the stock one a little too much. and i like the newer shorter styles.

whats the pros and cons to taking a few inches off of it and repacking it?

do u think it would look too much like a knock off pipe? im debating what to do. so any pics would help. Thx

PlayfulGod 01-22-2010 05:40 PM

very doable, but the shorter it is the louder it will be.

backroad 01-22-2010 05:50 PM

Shortening the can itself is fairly easy. You just drill out the rivets on one end, remove the end cap, cut it to length, and drill new holes for the new rivets. Shortening the core that the packing is wrapped around is the harder part, but it's still doable and not that difficult.

Just don't take the short cut some do around where I live. Some shorten the can and just leave the core and packing out, then wonder why the cops always harass them, or why the local restaurant owners run them off because their other customers are complaining about the noise.

yog182 01-22-2010 08:24 PM

I have done it once to a pipe.. I recommend having the rights set of tools. I found it easy with a ban saw or dremel tool to cut the pipe and core. Just take your time it and will come out nice.. When i did it i believe i took of 7 inches leaving 11 on the pipe.. Mine was a scorpion.You will get a louder deeper tone.. All depending on what you are looking for. Good luck on your adventures!

mikeyg2487 01-22-2010 10:40 PM

did it once on a 400ex white brothers pipe, didnt notice more or less power just loud enough to here ripping through cornfields which is what I liked... being heard.

datru 01-23-2010 01:08 AM

If a shorter pipe were too loud, couldn't you just add more packing or maybe adding a baffle/silencer to the muffler end?

PlayfulGod 01-23-2010 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by mikeyg2487 (Post 876410)
did it once on a 400ex white brothers pipe, didnt notice more or less power just loud enough to here ripping through cornfields which is what I liked... being heard.

ripping thru a corn field is ok, rattling everyones f*cking windows going down the road is another ;)

njdpb22 01-24-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by datru (Post 876435)
If a shorter pipe were too loud, couldn't you just add more packing or maybe adding a baffle/silencer to the muffler end?

i was wondering the same thing.

yog182 01-24-2010 11:55 AM

Packing is a lot harder then people think. More then likely with cutting it you will just cut the packing when you are cutting the outside of it and the core. Really there is no extra room for more packing in these things. Its going to be louder but not like OMG louder unless you take a whole foot off it. General rule is 7 inches or less to keep the performance..