F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Damn you throttle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
Yea it is possible, im sure most gas always has something in it and it could have been building up in your tank and when you ran it dry you just pulled it all thru. Anyhow im not exactly positive where the filter is, but I would assume its under your gas tank so I would start there. I believe you should be able to look at it to see if its ok or not, or maybe even try blowing some air thru it. But when you put it back on be sure you put it back on the way it came off, they are directional. And again its possible it made it past your filter to your injectors. Which the seafoam should correct.

So check your filter, run some seafoam. Should be good.
Great!
Thanks man, I'll give this a go tonight when I get home.
I hope its not a failing FPR, and that this is a easy fix.

Thanks again XJoe, really helped me out here!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you've figured this out yet, but the pump and filter are inside the tank. Hence you have to take it off. As for the FPR, it's my understading that if you remove the vaccum hose after/while running it, and fuel comes out the nipple, then it's faulty. Let us know how it goes.

Name:  Fuel_Pump.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  149.2 KB

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Thats good to know, I figured it was on the bottom side of the tank but not bolted inside of it lol. So it seems your going to have to drain your tank before your able to check the filter.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.

It does seem that the Sea Foam took care of the jerkiness and the lag-on lag-off problem.
She's runnin smooooooooooth now!

That stuff is great.

Luckily it wasent any faulty part goin bad or already bad, hence a more expensive fix. *whew*

Sea Foam! FTMFW!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks ------joey_f4i------ had the similar problem. Used your solution and all is working well so for. Just posted a thread, about my bike HICCUPING and then i read yours. SEAFOAM is amazing.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unknown
Thanks ------joey_f4i------ had the similar problem. Used your solution and all is working well so for. Just posted a thread, about my bike HICCUPING and then i read yours. SEAFOAM is amazing.
Indeed it is.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Agreed, Sea Foam is good stuff, but in the end, the the real culprit of the engine lagging and throttle jerkiness of my F4i was the battery!

I had thought my fuel pump had eaten all the nasty gunk at the bottom of my fuel tank since I had previously been runnin on fumes on an emergency and waited till all four fuel bars were blinkin.

I was sure that was the problem, so I poured in some Sea Foam as directed in the bottle, and sure enough, almost immediately, the original engine and RPM smoothness was back, but the dash lights; neutral light, high beam light etc.. and the tail-lights and even front head light had begun to dim on and off, as if the engine wanted to die out.

And after that, some of the throttle jerkiness started back up again.

The next thing I thought might be the problem was the battery goin dead, since here in South Texas we have 90-95+ degree weather almost year round, I thought the recent cold (45-50 degrees) had shocked the battery and it was failing.

Well yesterday morning, I busted out the ol' battery volt tester, and was stumped and surprised to see that it read 12.9!
Well over 12 Volts. Nuts....

I investigated a bit further, and took out the battery to check under the rubber boots to find the real problem and ultimate culprit to everything that had been goin on.

Terminals were filthy, and after a good battery cleaning with some battery spray cleaner and then some spray protector after afterward, my F4i was back to full power and in Prime runnin condition.
I also found the battery terminal screws to be pretty loose, which I'm guessin was due to engine vibe, so that wasent helping the matter either.

I'm just glad my ol' gal and trusty Work-horse is back and runnin cleeeeeeean!

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 12-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.