F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

damage report... repair or not?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damage report... repair or not?

Hey all!! havent been around for quite some time....

basically a guy rear ended myf4i 6 months ago and since then moved on to a 1000rr. Still my heart beats for the 600 and was thinking of getting it back to its senses. Not sure what kind of dough i have to fork out to repair the bike. Labour i will do myself. The bike is pretty modded up so it would be a waste to give up on it.

Oil cooler
Front rim with rotors
front calipers
Left clip on
Radiator
Manifold
front fairing stay
Front forks with triple clamp
all the fairing (probably will get that from auctmart)

I plan to get everything 2nd hand, either ebay or from here. I live in Europe but the prices are sky high so will get everything from the states.

What kind of bill am i looking it excluding shiupping?

Thanks for any help
Chris

Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Default RE: damage report... repair or not?

Looks like your top three big costs will be your front rim/rotors ($125-300), front forks and tripples ($150-300), and plastic ($500-1000). I'm not sure how a bike can be that messed up yet your still alive. Post up some pics of the damage, my guess is that things really aren't as bad as your stating...hopefully
-NF

Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM

https://cbrforum.com/m_296794/tm.htm

actually there's more damage to that.. like the tank, frame is scuffed and dinged, both rear sets have been ripped apart but what i can repair i will do myself.

3 out of the 4 manifold pipes have been completely ripped apart and the oil cooler broke in 2, the radiator looks like a squashed paper, the front rim tore apart, the forks didnt just bend but the tubes tore apart from the lower triple clamp.

Yes i was lucky, ultra lucky but u know what.... after 6 months i put in the key inmy f4i and it started immediately. Oil and water were squirting all over but still.... if she's still up for more, than she has all my respect and wallet to get back on the road.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Dude if the guy rear ended it don't you have insurance coverage to pay for it? What happened exactly why aren't you filing a claim?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM

You have any better pics of the front end? I'm interested to see how messed up some of that stuff is. I’d be interested in repairing some of your parts to put on my bike. If the front upper (as well as the tail) are still intact, I could try and fiberglass it. If the tank is only dented minor, it’d be better than mine. Front upper stays, not sure what they are like, but mine is in 3-4 pieces and bent to hell. Upper triple, that’s hard to mess up and I’m looking for a cheap one to drill out for MX bars. Basically, if your parts aren’t terrible, maybe we could work something out instead of throwing out your old parts.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM

you're looking at close to 2 grand for all of those parts. if there's dings in the frame sell what you can on ebay because you'll never get it inspected.

if you really wanna do it though... you've got the option of using f4i, 929, or 954 forks. look for a full front end to buy includeing calipers/wheel/rotors/clipons/tripletree/tripleclamp. you can usually pick up a full front end for ~500-700 with everything and they will bolt directly on. go with the 954 forks if you can because stock spring on 929 is .71kg/mm (too soft). they're inverted forks so they're a bit of an upgrade. not sure how much a radiator will be.. couldn't be more than $100 plus the cost of the bracket. the rest of the stuff is cosmetic. go with sharkskinz from hyperformanceparts.com you can get upper and lower for ~$400.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:35 AM

Well... following the accident I had my doubts if the bike would be totalled or no. So we dinged the frame with a hammer in a way not to ruin its structural integrity. The insurance gave me the money for a totalled bike and i bought the bike back for a song with an aim to repair.

North... I live in europe and the shipping costs alone would scare u off from that idea.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 PM

Good point...I shoulda figured that out. You could just fix what you need to in order to get it ridable and then stunt the **** out of it. Just my $.o2