F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Daaaaaamn I fail at life.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daaaaaamn I fail at life.

So my bike is all pretty now (funny story, humor me) I got it looking brand new. HID lights, flushmount blinkers, hotbodies undertail, red LEDs in ram air vent (although the HIDs are so bright you can't see them LOL another fail), new paint and new fairings. Here is where the fail begins...

I got some Vortex frame sliders. We took the old fairings and measured where the holes were cut for them, and drilled them out on the new ones exactly in the same spot (so we thought). Put right side on, perfect. Left side...the hole is about an inch down and to the left of the slider.

It sucks so bad, that I can't help but laugh (seeing as how I've been working all winter to make the bike pretty) and thought I'd share another one of my fails with you guys.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM

that sucks man but at least you can laugh about it..mine were slightly off but i just used some rubber trim to help clean it up..wish i had something to help but you still made your bike look nice over the winter minus the upset

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i
that sucks man but at least you can laugh about it..mine were slightly off but i just used some rubber trim to help clean it up..wish i had something to help but you still made your bike look nice over the winter minus the upset
Haha yeah man, overall it still looks good. I just gotta redrill that hole and I don't look forward to it lol

Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 PM

The trick to drilling accurately for cut frame sliders is to use a laser pen.
Take off the fairing and line the laser up to the exact center of where the bolt will be going...without moving the laser from that spot, put the fairing back on the bike. The laser will be pointing to the exact spot you need to drill.

Works perfect everytime.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMMER! I would want to kill myself if I did that.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Play dough method works better than laser, IMO. You have to have the bike on stands and the laser perfectly level for it to come out 100%. The bike could be upside down and the play dough method works.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
Play dough method works better than laser, IMO. You have to have the bike on stands and the laser perfectly level for it to come out 100%. The bike could be upside down and the play dough method works.
Agree. The laser method is such a waste of time. Why sit there and waste 30 mins trying to figure out a way to mount the laser in the correct position when you can just slap some play-doh on the inside of the fairing and be down in 10 mins.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM

i just used the play dough and it worked great, i was slightly off on one side, but im talking less then an 1/8 of an inch, just used a rounded file and it fits perfect and you cant even tell

Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Bah, wish I knew of either of these methods before I did it. Really made sense to just line the old ones up, little did I know the guy who had the bike before me sucked at measuring [too].

Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM

I used silly putty to do mine and it came out 100% perfect. When doing it it went something like measure 15 times to make sure it was ok then grow a set and drill into the fairings.

Quick Reply: Daaaaaamn I fail at life.