F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Custom F4i/1000rr tail mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom F4i/1000rr tail mod

hey guys. i'm in the process of mounting an 06 1000rr tail on my 01 F4i. i'm absolutely positive i'm not the first person to do this, but i figured i'd get a post started. i'll be posting pictures tomorrow evening once i get a lot of my sanding done after my plastic welding and body filler work is complete. but please, if anyone has any pictures or links for pictures of modified F4i tails, please post them here or send them my way. i'm curious to see what others have done. also, i'm dying for ideas as to how to modify my exhaust. the side mount doesn't seem to flow with the 1000rr tail, so i'm thinking of moding a gp style exhaust on the bike. but i don't want anything obnoxiously loud. i have a jardine rt-1 on there now, something similar sounding would be nice. tee off on this one guys, please. any suggestions are welcome here, especially with regards to the exhaust. again, i'll get some pics up stat. but it looks sick (to me) so far. thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

well i've never seen it before.

good luck i bet it will look great

Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 AM

hmmm... now this is intresting... i don't really like my fat *** of a tail for the f4i and almost all other sport bikes have a thin surfboard like tail... this makes me giggle if you pull off a swap.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM

should be interesting, ive not seen a 1k swap , but i have seen a 600RR tail on the F4i...

Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM

the 1000rr tail has way sharper lines than the 600rr tail. that's a huge reason why i jumped on the opprotunity when my boy offered me his tail after he dumped his. pics will be up in a few hours. unpainted, but all the plastic welding and most of the body filling has been done.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 PM

k boys, here's what i have so far. still a ways to go. but the lower parts of the f4i tail were plastic welded onto the shorter 1000 tail, and now i'm just filling in where the two pieces meet up. fabricating the undertail is the next step. but for all who are curious, here ya are...feedback welcome, good or bad. thanks guys.

and in case you haven't noticed, i have a thing for black.

Last edited by LudacricK; 05-12-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM

I love the way that looks. I'd like to see a full write up on this mod. Keep up the good work!!

-Michael

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What undertail are you going to go with? I'd say something aftermarket and integrated. I think it'd make life easier, and look better. It looks good. I like the lines of the 1000 tail. But I don't like swaps. Makes it look frankenstein like. GL though.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 AM

OHHHH i see!! I thought you meant entire tail swap aka subframe as well!!

So this is just a plastic swap. Intresting and definitely looks very promising! although subframe looks off now but with it black it's kinda hidden.

I wanna shorten my subframe and tail kinda like this

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/weblog/buellXB-1.jpg

or put a newer 1krr tail on my bike

http://media.photobucket.com/image/0.../08cbr1000.jpg

Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 AM

definitely fabricating an undertail. the integrated tail light for the 1000 tail came in the mail yesterday and is all wired up. i had the f4i hotbodies undertail on there to begin with, but everyone i ride with said the LEDs were crap and they could't tell when i was braking or using my blinkers. but i love making things from scratch. kind of why i jumped at the opprotunity to do this. welding/composite materials/painting and body work are a huge hobby of mine. used to paint cars and do huge custom audio/video installs on cars, so this project is making my life right now. thanks for the input, should have pics up tonight of her sanded flush and primed flat black with the light in.

Quick Reply: Custom F4i/1000rr tail mod