F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Crash repair- soliciting opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crash repair- soliciting opinions

OK Guys,
I'm doing a fix up on the 02. I would like opinions on maintenance items while I'm replacing parts. I'm fitting on a set of used forks. Seller says that donor bike had extended swingarm (no wheelies). Should I change the fork oil while I have them out? My local shop can do it for $100 flat.

My buddy wants to sell me his 208's from his '04RR (haven't seen the condition of the tires) for $100, but I've been doing some we searching and came up w. about $219 shipped for Pilot Powers. Have a trackday in 2 months, will be street riding until then. Which would be better value for me?

Rearsets:
I want some
Should I put on the new stockers or invest a little more $$ into getting aftermarket

Frame sliders:
B4 or after the bike is painted (I'm pretty much sold on the Vortex)

Bar ends:
Aluminum or Plastic
I want to minimize bike repair for the NEXT crash (hopefully there won't be one)
Suggestions on bar end sliders?? Anyone?? Bike will have some black and Carbon Fiber parts here/ there.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crash repair- soliciting opinions

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

OK Guys,
I'm doing a fix up on the 02. I would like opinions on maintenance items while I'm replacing parts. I'm fitting on a set of used forks. Seller says that donor bike had extended swingarm (no wheelies). Should I change the fork oil while I have them out? My local shop can do it for $100 flat.

My buddy wants to sell me his 208's from his '04RR (haven't seen the condition of the tires) for $100, but I've been doing some we searching and came up w. about $219 shipped for Pilot Powers. Have a trackday in 2 months, will be street riding until then. Which would be better value for me?

Rearsets:
I want some
Should I put on the new stockers or invest a little more $$ into getting aftermarket

Frame sliders:
B4 or after the bike is painted (I'm pretty much sold on the Vortex)

Bar ends:
Aluminum or Plastic
I want to minimize bike repair for the NEXT crash (hopefully there won't be one)
Suggestions on bar end sliders?? Anyone?? Bike will have some black and Carbon Fiber parts here/ there.

Thanks.

forks: depends on how many miles, if the bike had an extended swingarm it probably put more weight on the forks, so the springs could be compressed a little more than normal, so you might want to send them to a suspension guy (I use CTR, John works miracles with suspension setups)

tires: If you've got a trackday coming up your gonna want about 70-80% tread on the tires so new ones would be better

rearsets: stock ones are okay but aftermarket would give you more ground clearance and the solid pegs protect your bike in a crash

frame sliders: drilling the holes before painting is probably better, but it doesn't matter all that much

Bar ends: plastic or delrin, don't get aluminum. doesn't matter which brand really (oh if you get plastic bar ends there will be a little more vibration in the bars than stock, because there won't be as much weight on the end of the bars)

Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crash repair- soliciting opinions

Does someone make weighted Plastic/ Delrin Bar ends? Why not aluminum? Isn't that what Honda uses OEM.