CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Crash Poll (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/crash-poll-99380/)

mike and ikes 08-21-2009 02:24 AM

Crash Poll

I keep having friends (riders and non-riders alike) tell me that it's only a matter of time before I crash my bike. They say pretty much everyone lays it down or flat out wrecks their bike sometime. I've been riding for a little over three years now. Am I just testing fate? Is every day riding one day closer to my crash?

How many of you have
1. Crashed
2. Layed it down without crashing into anything.
3. Have been insanely lucky or skilled enough to have done neither?

drunkinmist 08-21-2009 03:05 AM

Can i have some of your luck. Maybe it was just that fact i was younger and then could afford to fix my bike more often.

CrazyTracy 08-21-2009 06:42 AM

My hubby's been riding for 20 years with no accidents. We were out one day a couple of years ago and came across a layer of chipseal in a blind, 4 corners turn, he barely made it through but I did not... I think it depends on keeping respect for the bike and growing experience.

MartiniRossy 08-21-2009 08:30 AM

No amount of respect, riding skill or luck will save you! If you havn't been down, you're going down, that's the only thing guaranteed about riding bike. Now the severity might differ a bit. Me, last september, the F4 at 65mph vs. whitetail deer at 0mph... all I have to say is is was all bad! 1 Broken collar bone, 1 seperated shoulder, 1 dislocated shoulder, 1 dislocated hip, a whole mess of rash and about 3lbs of deer poop all over me but hey I'm still here, helmets and jackets save lives and (some) skin!

woot 08-21-2009 08:36 AM

I don't like the phrase laid it down - it implies you meant to do it...

I didn't crash into anything... both of mine have been lowside accidents. The first time I lost the front end coming through a down-hill transition S turn, and the second time I lost the back end under throttle (while on the track)

DBEAU 08-21-2009 08:47 AM

Yeah, "laid it down" just sounds so whimpy lol.

Laid it down, in no way, can even come close to describing what happened when I wrecked. I never hit anything, except the ground... well, I brushed a guard rail along the way down...

If you want to read more about it check it out here.... https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/wrecked-89384/

cbrnub 08-21-2009 09:10 AM

Only been riding for a month, no crashes yet. I've crashed about 3 times in my fourwheeler riding career, everytime destroying the quad but coming away unscathed.

pjrocco 08-21-2009 09:58 AM

I tried to do a stoppie on my second day of riding on the streets back in 1999... It did go as planned, front end wobbles and I went down. I've done it in the dirty a couple times, so I thought it would be the same... Boy was I wrong; luckily I just kind of fell to the side and rolled and the bike just feel over and kept going on it's side for 20 feet or so.

I still have a scar on my elbow and back from it. Since then I have had a couple really close calls with people almost hitting me or running me off the road, but knock on wood, I've been accident free for years.

mike and ikes 08-21-2009 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by woot (Post 826212)
I don't like the phrase laid it down - it implies you meant to do it...

Yeah, I toyed with using the word "wreck" a bit. I wanted to differentiate between hitting something and not hitting something. Best I came up with was crash and laid down.

mike and ikes 08-21-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy (Post 826208)
No amount of respect, riding skill or luck will save you! If you havn't been down, you're going down, that's the only thing guaranteed about riding bike.

This is what I'm talking about! Why does have to come down to fate?