F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Crash Cages Yes Or NO

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash Cages Yes Or NO

My buddy is debating on wheather or not to get a crash cage. I think that frame sliders are ok, but I dropped my bike at 0 mph in my driveway and it bent the slider bolt. Now I feel that if I went down at 25 mph or faster that they wouldn't even hold up to it. I have woodcraft sliders and they bolt to the motor mount and aren't cheaply made IMO. Now my buddy does alot of wheelies and hes getting into more technical stuff right now so I think a cage would be the way to go, but how much will it effect cornering and everyday riding. We don't do any track days or really agressive street riding, but we do ride twsties once in a while. I know the 905 cages are good, but they look big and bulky and might effect cornering. If you have any experience with cages let me know your opinion on whats good. There are some on ebay that look like sh*t IMO and there are some that look really good, I'll attach some pics to show what I'm talking about. Ok just let me know what you think, I personally would probably get one but its one of those "look at me" things for the cops around here and I don't want any extra attention.

-Jesse-

Old 05-06-2006, 04:47 AM
Default RE: Crash Cages Yes Or NO

wow your woodcraft sliders bent????
I've been down HARD twice, one hard and slow the other at 130+mph and even harder and my vortex worked perfectly
you might wanna call Eric Wood @ Woodcraft and mention it, he might give you a deal on a new set, he's an awesome guy

I don't know a lot about crash cages though, apparently stunters use them and if your friend is wanting to do a lot of stunting then it might be better than sliders for that, but like I said I don't really know

your slider beding sounds like a freak occurance, i've seen a LOT of crashes and have NEVER seen bent bolts (other than the no-cut ones of course)

Old 05-06-2006, 05:10 AM

I knew a guy with a crash cage on a 929. I thought it looked pretty good, but I never asked him why he got it... I've heard its a stunt-only thing because they can supposedly do a lot of damage to the bike in a high speed crash.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the reply, I didn't drop it that hard either. But yeah it bent the slider bolt, I wouldn't even have noticed it, but I was changing my oil and I grabbed the slider and it was loose. I was like WTF, I used locktite when I put them on so I took it off and the damn bolt was a little bent. It wasn't too bad so I put it back on, but I'll get a hold of him and see if he'll send me a new bolt or something. I think my buddy needs a cage though so he doesn't end up replacing plastics if he goes down.

-Jesse-

Old 05-06-2006, 05:19 AM

Ok heres the pics of the ones that I have found.

Sick Innovations

Powers StuntWorx

Old 05-06-2006, 06:06 AM

My buddy have a full cage on his R1 and he kept scrapin it going around corners pretty hard. I think the white one would be better to get if you wanted protection but still be able to ride corners

Actually you should tell me who makes that one cause I kinda like it and may want to buy one

Old 05-06-2006, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: DThompson
I think the white one would be better to get if you wanted protection but still be able to ride corners

Actually you should tell me who makes that one cause I kinda like it and may want to buy one
he did it says sick innovations lol

Old 05-06-2006, 04:55 PM

I have a 905 racing cage. Best made and if you ever bend it or break it. They will fix it or replace it for free for the life time of the cage. Even if it is a used cage you bought from someone. I have never had a problem with it effecting cornering. I have a f4i and how the cage mounts on them if your gonna rub the cage on the ground. Your going down. They mount different on every bike.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 AM

tell your buddy to look into the freestyle ingenuity cages. ive owned many cages some very strong and sone not so strong. im on my first FI cage and so far its holding up pretty well. plus, you can remove the lower bar on the cage and run the sliders only if you feel like doin some canyons.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:56 AM

If your buddy has an F4i then pretty much he can get any cage and they will be rock solid...if he has a 929/954/900 Ide suggest anything but Freestyle Ingenuity since they have been known to break motor mounts on the big RRs.

I think almost ever full stunt cage will scrape if u dip it low enough. The only thing I can think of would be to get a FI cage and take the loop off if your killin streets and throw it back on when your practicing lots.

Quick Reply: Crash Cages Yes Or NO