CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Crankcase Implosion!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/crankcase-implosion-118610/)

e3gordon 11-12-2010 08:07 PM

Crankcase Implosion!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Ok this is a story...

I have had my bike apart for about a week in the garage so that I could diagnose what seems to be a fuel pressure regulator problem. 2 days ago i started smelling a strong chemical scent in my garage and could not figure it out so I looked over both cars, checked the paint and other cleaning chemicals, even looked over the heater and hot water heater but nothing....

So after much scratching my head, I finally looked over my bike closely and found this!

Somehow my oil level viewing window on the right crankcase cover has been popped inward and now inside the crankcase. Without looking closely i did not notice as the size of the opening is small and and it still looked dark. I am not sure if i hit it or pushed it in but i doubt it and am baffled how this happened.... The smell in the garage was the oil and without standing the bike up no oil ever spilled on the cement not making me notice it.

Now what to do... Has anyone ever seen this before? I am not sure how the viewing window is even adhered to the case (glued/seal/pressure) and need to know what to do. Initially i figured I will have to install a whole new crankcase cover but want some opinions before i have to buy one.... PLEASE HELP - i need my girl back!!!!

While getting the bike apart I had to

redzintimidator 11-12-2010 08:24 PM

is the glass out of place too? Or just the metal inside? If its just the metal, take the cover off, degrease it, and epoxy it back in place.

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 08:32 PM

Looks like its way above the full mark, why?? Is it??

e3gordon 11-12-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator (Post 987088)
is the glass out of place too? Or just the metal inside? If its just the metal, take the cover off, degrease it, and epoxy it back in place.

The glass and the metal are in one piece inside the crankcase... Can you still epoxy it back on?

e3gordon 11-12-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4 (Post 987090)
Looks like its way above the full mark, why?? Is it??

its not, there is not oil against the opening as the viewing window is detached and inside of the crankcase.... it would be leaking all over the floor if that was the case.

jp_greenville13 11-12-2010 08:56 PM

I would play it safe and go with a new cover but I would like to know why it happened first. apart from it being pushed in can anyone think of something that would cause such a thing?

OutlawF4 11-12-2010 08:59 PM

Its just hard to see from the pics.

e3gordon 11-12-2010 09:03 PM

The circular metal piece you see inside the hole is the base of the window that was attached flush to the inside of the crankcase...

redzintimidator 11-13-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13 (Post 987102)
apart from it being pushed in can anyone think of something that would cause such a thing?

someones goin around with a little hammer and stiff piece of rubber knockin everyones oil windows out..."heh..that'll teach them there biker thugs!":icon_angel:

anyways - Epoxy is your friend. Take the thing off, degrease it all, slather it up, apply and wait. Should be good as new.

e3gordon 11-13-2010 02:09 PM

Thanks what kind of epoxy is suitable to glue back?