F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

could this be the battery??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could this be the battery??

So I need some advice guys/gurls! I just bought my 03 F4i about a month ago and recently it had been sitting there for about a week since I was waiting on some parts for it and well cause the weather here has been really crappy.
So the other day I thought I should start the bike, so I turned the key to ON and no dash lights came on. I made sure the kill switch was on ON as well... When I bought the bike, the guy said he just put in a new battery, but I have heard of people getting bad batteries. So anyhow I am assuming it's my battery since I took the battery out and have been charging it but it's still not fully charged and it's been a good 16 hours or so. I checked the fuses and connections so I don't know what else it could be... I'm a safe to assume my battery is hooped?? Any advice would be appreciated since well lets face it, I'm not good at diagnosing lol

Thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Default RE: could this be the battery??

i would give you battery a second chance....try jump starting it off a car with the car engine turned off....let it run for awhile and ride it, and bring it home, and shut it off, see if it starts back up.....if so, try it again 3-4 hours later, and see if it is dead yet.....if its dead or weak, its probably the battery.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Diagnosing is all bout isolating the problem... anyway, like hayden said put the battery back in and hook it up to a car. leave the car off though...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM

You could have just had a bad connection. i have heard lots of people have that problem. you don't tighten it down enough when its replaced, and while riding over time it loosens up and breaks the connection. give it another chance before getting a new battery

Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

If you do get it running, check voltage with some revs and post it. I'll go an check mine or I'm sure someone else will know what it is supposed to be and post a reply.From there it may shed some light on whether or not you are charging correctly.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Also may want to get yourself a batt tender / Charger. Def a must esp during winter storage when the batt is out.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR Time

Also may want to get yourself a batt tender / Charger. Def a must esp during winter storage when the batt is out.
I have a batt tender, that's what I have the batt hooked up to.

I'll post up the volts of the batt when I find out. I'm gonna hook up the battery here pretty quick to see if it will start... Keep you guys posted... Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:56 AM

Just FYI, The battery should be charging at 14 volts when the engine is revved slightly above idle. If you're not getting 14, then there's your problem. If it's undercharging, it's probably an issue with the stator. If it's overcharging, it's probably an issue with the regulator/rectifier.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM

okay so I had the battery on the tender for 24hrs and when I took it off we charged the voltage and it only had 5 volts. I should have had way more then that right? So I think I'll have to get a new battery..... [:@]

Old 08-23-2008, 01:51 PM

haha for sure!

read this before buying!

https://cbrforum.com/m_87095/tm.htm

Quick Reply: could this be the battery??