F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Coolant leaking..any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coolant leaking..any ideas?

There may be a cap from the auto parts store that could fit, but then you have to worry about it being the right pressure rating. I would get a genuine Honda capfrom the dealer.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

i got the prestone 50/50 prediluted...is that ok to use??
I believe Honda motors are not to be used with silicate inhibitors, green prestone (not the extended life)may have silicates. I am not 100% sure on this but I believe our bikes want organic acidinhibitors, not silicates. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Don't hold me to any of that but I know BMW cars FREAK out with regular antifreeze. My guess is the silicates may tear up the water pump or react with the aluminum. I'd just use the Honda stuff or Distilled water untill I figure it out.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Don't hold me to any of that but I know BMW cars FREAK out with regular antifreeze.
Didn't Jerry Seinfeld's car "freak out" when they filled the radiator with Kramer's Blood???

There's a lesson to be learned there - Don't fill your bike with blood...

Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW... our bikes use the same radiator cap as a Honda Accord, or probably any other Honda car. I know mine is the same as my car, lol. I had a small rip in the seal on my bikes cap, and everything was closed so I yanked the cap off my car and sure enough... exactly the same. Been on there for about 4 months now, works perfect

Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I believe Honda motors are not to be used with silicate inhibitors, green prestone (not the extended life)may have silicates. I am not 100% sure on this but I believe our bikes want organic acidinhibitors, not silicates. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Don't hold me to any of that but I know BMW cars FREAK out with regular antifreeze. My guess is the silicates may tear up the water pump or react with the aluminum. I'd just use the Honda stuff or Distilled water untill I figure it out.
I just happened to have a bottle of Prestone's "NEW formula" "Extended Life". Says it's compatible will all other coolants of other colors, etc. The bottle says it has inhibitors but I see nothing about silicates. I had previously used this stuff without issue prior to switching to Distalled/Redline.

Interesting that you'd mention BMW'sbecause they're sealed systems. Not sure what year you're referring to though.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Jaybird,
What year are you referring to when you say that a BMW cooling system is a "sealed" system. I have not seen a "sealed" cooling system on a BMW ever. I am a BMW mechanic so I feelfairly comfortable saying that NO american BMW has a "sealed" cooling system.

A sealed system means that you can not add to it. A BMW has an expansion tank that you can add to. In fact it is where you add all the coolant and the radiator pulls from that. The radiator itself can not be added to, but that does not make it a "sealed" system, because you can add to it through the expansion tank.

Don't take this as an attack. I am not trying to **** anyone off. Just trying to share info on a subject that I know about.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:45 PM

No attack, just learning and sharing what's learned. I was informed that my E60 was an example of a sealed system. Was I misinformed?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Sadly, Yes you have been mis-informed. They may have told you that speaking only of the radiator, which would be some-what correct. You cannot add to the radiator. You do however have an expansion tank which the radiator pulls from when it gets low. When you drain the coolant you add to the expansion tank. Then while the car is running you bleed the system and fill to the proper level.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Is it a complicated process? (Aren't we OT?)

Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM

No not a complicated process. As long as you know how to bleed the system you should be golden. They are very finicky systems when it comes to the bleed process. If you have an air pocket you can cause it to over heat because they dont self bleed.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking..any ideas?