CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Conflicted about sprockets, advice? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/conflicted-about-sprockets-advice-132173/)

Dragondima 11-07-2011 01:34 PM

Conflicted about sprockets, advice?

So i have a 2001 F4i, and i bought the bike in January, while it was cold (i live in Philly) I did a few simple things, including changing the sprocket and chain. I converted it to +1/-2 because of how often i've heard of giving a nice extra kick. I'm not yet convinced i'll be pursuing track time, and i'm more of a casual rider. Since i bought the bike in January i only put about 500 miles on it during the summer, thanks to a crash, school, and a few other things.

My biggest thing is the sprocket configuration messes with my speedometer, and yes i can get a speedo-healer to fix the problem, but at the same time i feel the bike is to tourqy for my comfort. It's a great bike and i love it, and i enjoy searching for those really nice turns. I love getting a nice lean in, and i love riding curvy roads for the sport of it, but that happens on a few times a year. I'm interesting in looking in to doing track days, seeing as my older brother is obsessed with them, i figured i'd try it, but i've yet to get the finances for it. (track leathers, boots, protectors, costs, etc).

So thoughts? Should i put back to stock? Maybe just put it at +1/0.
Thanks.

Timbostang 11-07-2011 01:44 PM

If you put the +1 on front and the -2 on back then you went the wrong direction for extra torque. That puts the ratio closer to 1:1 which makes it taller. If you would have went -1/+2 it would be wheelie happy. It's all up to how the bike feels to you. Having to have a few chains around for different spocket config. can get $$$$$.

gotcbr 11-07-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1111993)
So thoughts? Should i put back to stock

Yes, put it back to stock. For a "casual rider", stock is sufficient for street use.

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1111993)
... I'm interesting in looking in to doing track days, seeing as my older brother is obsessed with them, i figured i'd try it, but i've yet to get the finances for it. (track leathers, boots, protectors, costs, etc).

Track days can be as expensive as you want to make it -or- as budgetary as necessary to get on the track. There's no need to go out & get expensive brand new gear. You can buy used gear at much reduced expense on CL, ebay, etc. Also, most track day orgs don't require 1pc leathers...you can get a 2pc suit (pants must zip to jacket) & use it on the street as well. Find yourself a good leather shop that does work on motorcycle gear/leather. If you already have a leather jacket, you can have the waist zipper installed for track pants. Many track day orgs even rent suits...of course, you need to contact them ahead of time to ask questions & arrange fitment/rental.

Back protectors come in many forms & range from inexpensive to ludicrous pricing. Get a good basic back protector that will suffice. Track boots can do double-duty on the street too.

R Dub 11-07-2011 03:12 PM

If you're going to do anything other than the stock setup then I would just leave it as is and get a speedo healer. If it is not stock your speedo will be off no matter what. If it was me I would probably just go back to stock now. You can sell the chain and sprockets to make a little bit back.

Dragondima 11-07-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 1112003)
Yes, put it back to stock. For a "casual rider", stock is sufficient for street use.

Track days can be as expensive as you want to make it -or- as budgetary as necessary to get on the track. There's no need to go out & get expensive brand new gear. You can buy used gear at much reduced expense on CL, ebay, etc. Also, most track day orgs don't require 1pc leathers...you can get a 2pc suit (pants must zip to jacket) & use it on the street as well. Find yourself a good leather shop that does work on motorcycle gear/leather. If you already have a leather jacket, you can have the waist zipper installed for track pants. Many track day orgs even rent suits...of course, you need to contact them ahead of time to ask questions & arrange fitment/rental.

Back protectors come in many forms & range from inexpensive to ludicrous pricing. Get a good basic back protector that will suffice. Track boots can do double-duty on the street too.

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact the past few weeks all i have been doing is search for used gear. The riding boots thing is something i'm a bit iffy about, but overall i concur with what you've been saying. Rental plus trackday is typically in the 300$ range, so definitely worth a try, but it's something i'll suck at until i've done multiple days and runs. I've been to a few of the, and i've seen how hardcore some people are and how much people spend on gear. 1 piece suits go for $1k easy, and the nicer ones much higher. I think i'll just go back to stock for now.

If you put the +1 on front and the -2 on back then you went the wrong direction for extra torque. That puts the ratio closer to 1:1 which makes it taller. If you would have went -1/+2 it would be wheelie happy. It's all up to how the bike feels to you. Having to have a few chains around for different spocket config. can get $$$$$.
I'm not really sure, i might be wrong, when i get the chance i'll check the order and see, but i was certain it was +1/-2, which delivered more torque. Reduced top speed, but gave you a much better range of power to get to quickly at lower gears.

Xander F4i 11-07-2011 03:49 PM

maybe he means -2/+1 (14 tooth front, 47 tooth rear)

boredandstroked 11-07-2011 10:30 PM

He means -1/+2 like everyone else. Go back to stock. I've done multible track days and have/will always use stock gearing.

Dragondima 11-08-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1112153)
He means -1/+2 like everyone else. Go back to stock. I've done multible track days and have/will always use stock gearing.

Thanks man, yea it's -1/+2, i always forget what it is, it's even wrong in my signature :icon_doh:. Have you ever done a track day with this sprocket configuration? I think stock is the solution, and maybe a PCIII because i got a slip-on Yoshi and a K&N filter. Thoughts?

MadHattr059 11-08-2011 06:17 PM

If you're really interested in the track, you'll want the stock. Other-wise you'll be limiting
your top speed as well. The -/+ is for low-end torque, which is fine on the street, or
drags. Race-track is designed to keep you in the top of the band, constantly, so that's
where you want the torque. Other-wise you'll be screaming on the RPM's to keep up.

As far as the gear, a good set of off-the-shelf textiles shouldn't set you back more than
3-400 bucks, off craiglist/e-bay. Or 5-600 retail. Yeah, the pro's sport leather, but they
need the longevity from being able to repair over time. The textiles will get you through
one or two get-off's before you replace them. Since, you're starting as a week-ender,
that's enough to get you through the learning curve and get the knowledge to wisely
drop a grand on the next set. Besides which, they are very practical on the street.

Ern

boredandstroked 11-08-2011 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1112280)
Thanks man, yea it's -1/+2, i always forget what it is, it's even wrong in my signature :icon_doh:. Have you ever done a track day with this sprocket configuration? I think stock is the solution, and maybe a PCIII because i got a slip-on Yoshi and a K&N filter. Thoughts?

Like I said, I have always used stock gearing. My bike is a commuter, no need for less gas milage and more wear and tear on my engine with higher gearing. As for the PC3, forget it. The slip on doesn't change the ratio enough and the k&n filter literally does nothing at all.
As for MadHattr059's suggestion to get textiles, its a good idea but won't let you on a track. I say spend the money for a leather jacket and pants that zip togther and you'll save money as you can use the jacket on the street and track instead of buying two different sets of gear.