F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

Bike goes down. Pulling out onto my main st. Not heavy on the gas at all, nice and careful like. I've done it at least 10 times this season on the old tires. New Metzler M3's on last night. Pull out this morning and whoosh! back tire disapeers as i straighten the bike out of the turn. Go down, bike does a 180 on the frame slider (hell yeah fram slider!) broken mirror, skuffed tranny cover, small skuffs on the kick stand and swingarm. NO plastic damage! Fram sliders = best investment ever. That and full riding gear. Jacket, Pants, Boots, Helmet Gloves. No damage to any of it. Man are these bikes light when you are pissed off. I just scooped it back up, rode to my driveway. Checked the damage, ran inside to grab some tools to take the mirror off, andthen rode it to work.Now i got to get some of the epoxy we use at work and glue it back together. My plan today was to get it inspected! I guess I'm part of the "club" now.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Default RE: Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =

It's good to hear your alright, and that the bike road away with minimal damage... what frame slider are you using?I'm in the market for new ones... for reasons that i, personally,did not make [sm=icon_beat.gif].

Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it happens you know...so don't be hard at all on yourself if you are. welcome to the club!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey man, glad your ok and the frame sliders worked for you too.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM

It's a distinguished club ya know. Glad your OK and bike is OK 2.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM

Well i bought the same tires and took em for a scrubbing on sunday for 35mi. Went easy out of my driveway and all the turns i made even took a couple twisties. The first thing i did was scuff em up with some 2k grit sandpaper to make sure nothing was left on it.

Glad your ok and glad i bought vortex frame sliders instead of that bolt in **** that the guy i had on before me had.

I hope you can still make it down here sunday maybe i can check the bike out lol. If not ill have to get up there and take some pics. Im surprised everyone is sliding on gravel wtf is going on?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this in the morning and slid around acorner at lunch... lol. I wasn't going fast and I didn't loose it but WTF??? It is still in the 40's here. I couldn't believe it though I had been braking on them quite a bit before it happened.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Rather, I have Vortex sliders, probably list about 1/4" off of the bottom corner of it. Anyways the glue didn't work, but i did pass inspection by moving the right mirror to the left. It looks ridiculous and it sticks strait up in the air but it got me passed inspection. Anyone have an extra left hand mirror lying around? Blue, I'll be scrubbing the crap out of them tonight with some sanding sponges. (I work at Saint Gobain, Formally Norton Company so i get all my sand paper and grinding wheels for cheap or free). The only thing i can think of is that i got a little chain grease on the tire while i was putting it back on. Or maybe i rolled over some in the garage. I'll be riding some tonight tho. I got to find a garage thats open late to change my clip link out for a rivet type. I never did by the chain tool. Blue, if you want to meet up some place that would be cool.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Yea sunday is supposed to be 55 i posted in the other thread to meet up with people would be great.

Where did you go for your inspection and did they bust your ***** about a plate light or its alright? I have an undertail and no tail light but havent really passed cops at night or anything so idk. I got hooked up for my sticker last yr i might do that again but no sure.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM

i just got back from a ride, me and my friend, we had been cruisin around for about 20 miles and went out in the country, hit the second nice curve... i get out of hte curve and on the straight away, over a hill, and look back and hes not behind me... i slowed down and waited and he never came over the hill. so i turn around and go back thinking "o crap..." and hes standin the side of the road and had low sided out.
he said he slid on somethin but we couldnt find any gravel or oil in the turn and ive went around it at least 10 times this year so i think it may because he got new tires put on earlier today... its just weird cuz he got them put on in anderson... which is about 35 min away... and we had done all the other riding so he had at least 50 or so miles on the tires.

Quick Reply: Cold + Gravel + 75" on new tires =