F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch Lever questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Lever questions

I parked my bike very close to the garage wall last week and forgot the kickstand before getting down, and caught my bike as it fell on the wall.
The only damage I did was clutch lever bent down slightly.

Bike shifts and runs great but that bent clutch lever feels weird and also feels like I don't have to let it out as much as before.
So I was looking for a replacement, and I see prices from less than $20 to more than $100 and was wondering what is the difference between click, folding, click-n-roll, etc. Some of them have this 1-2-3-4 adjustment setting, my OEM one does not, what does that adjust?

I am not looking for anything fancy, does anyone know where I can buy the OEM ones?

Also, while replacing the clutch lever, do I have to do anything with the clutch cable? I have read on some forums that Yes, and some say there's just one bolt and no need to do anything to the clutch cable.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oem style replacement lever can be had in the low end of your price listing. Remove pivot bolt, unhook cable, place a little grease on the new lever pivot, attach cable, replace pivot bolt, you're done. You may need to adjust the engagement point with the new lever by using the cable adjuster on the lever housing. If you run into any problems, post it and someone here will jump in to help.

Last edited by Incompatible; 06-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Thank you!
Sounds good, I found a YouTube video showing brake and clutch lever replacement, looks very easy.
How do I know that the cable is adjusted correctly? Just by feel or take it for a ride and adjust if it slips or shifts hard?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

You have to adjust it by feel, just dont let it too tight because your cable can break anytime if its too tight..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should have about 3/8" of slack.
This ensures that the clutch is fully engaged when you release the lever.
As for the rest, you're getting good advice, so nothing else to add.

Ern

Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks everyone, found a local store here that has OEM style BikeMaster levers for $10, will pick them up soon.