F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch issues f4i

Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Default Clutch issues f4i

I have a 2001 f4i and took the clutch appart to check the basket. 2 of the bolts that hold the springs broke as I was taking them off. Must have been weakened or something...Anyways...the inner basket needed to be replaced so I ordered it and I totally forgot to check what order the plates where in. I know the first and last friction plates are different from the others and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the one with the smaller pads goes in first and the one with the wider ones goes in last? I hope you understand what I mean. I also had issues with putting back together. I did a dry run putting back together and could not get the clutch cable/arm that comes out of the side cover to work right. I know you have to turn the arm until it grabs the clutch pin and then hook the spring on...I did that the way the manual said and everything was good until i tightened all the bolts on the clutch cover...I would pull the clutch and it would stay pulled in. When i backed off the bolts it worked ok...i took it back appart...If I have not been clear please let me know...I will try to take pics as well.