CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Clutch install HELP! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/clutch-install-help-153121/)

JRDrumbum 01-11-2015 12:51 PM

Clutch install HELP!

Hey guys, in the process of the rebuild and I'm just about to put the crankcase cover on and test out the clutch and the lever is just "floppy"... It moves back and forth freely but with little to no pull-back as the clutch should have... I've taken the clutch apart 3 times now to double check everything and can't seem to diagnose the problem. I'm sure it's somethjng very simple that I'm overlooking

sjona2011 01-11-2015 03:05 PM

two questions, have you adjusted the cable? and are all clutch plates accounted for?

JRDrumbum 01-11-2015 05:18 PM

Yeah I have all the friction and pressure disks accounted for. And I have adjusted the cable but no amount of adjustment seems to get any pressure on the lever, it remains "floppy".

Conrice 01-11-2015 08:48 PM

Then it seems that the grab-rob is not engaging the pin that pulls on the pressure plate.

JRDrumbum 01-11-2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1284827)
Then it seems that the grab-rob is not engaging the pin that pulls on the pressure plate.

That's what I was thinking at first, and it's entirely possible. It just feels to me like when I turn the linkage by hand, it feels like it's grabbing everything ok. And of course there's not really any way to look for that cuz the cover hides it -_- I'm wondering if I took off that other bolt on the crankcase cover and took that plug out if if be able to see inside and check it out...

Conrice 01-12-2015 06:32 AM

Oh, there's no way that you'd be able to engage the clutch by hand from that rod unless you are a character from a Marvel Comic Book.

You should feel the rod come to a point, where it stops, and that's where the cable goes - its the start of the stroke for the engage/disengage of the clutch.

JRDrumbum 01-12-2015 07:37 AM

Well that changes things lol. Then I guess the grab rod must not be grabbing the pin at all or the pin isn't moving correctly in the clutch basket. How would I go about troubleshooting either of those?

99cbrf4600 01-12-2015 10:00 AM

Maybe grab the Haynes manual. It has plenty of diagrams how to put that assembly back together and gives you measurements for everything to see if they are out of spec. Grab a micrometer and a torque wrench and spend 30 minutes measuring and torquing.

JRDrumbum 01-12-2015 01:13 PM

I've got the Honda service manual and have been referencing that for everything on the installation. And they're all brand new disk,s so I doubt they're out of spec but I will measure them when I get home. Everything went together perfectly fine until I put the cover on. Out of curiosity, without the cover on, the pin that pulls out to engage and desengage the clutch should be able to slightly wiggle forward and back? Almost like I can push it out of the bearing and then pull it back forward into the bearing to seat again (if I'm making any sense at all)

99cbrf4600 01-12-2015 09:27 PM

Yes, it does have some play in it.

Also, I was more referring to the springs rather than the disks. My springs were out of spec even though my steels and friction disks were in spec.

On the F4, the last friction disk must be indexed properly as well, one "tooth" off IIRC.

Overall, I do think its your clutch cable.