F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cluster Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Issue

Hi - a couple months ago my 2001 Honda cbr600f4i got caught in a flood and was completely submerged. I did a disassembly and complete clean and she runs beautifully.

The only issue I’m having is the gauge cluster is acting funny. The tach and the digital screens (speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, coolant temp, etc) do not work. The displays are backlit, but blank. The neutral, fuel injection, high beam and turn signal lights work. I’ve read a bunch of forums with cluster problems, but not this exact combination.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
- checked all fuses
- ran continuity checks on main harness and connectors
- bought and installed a used cluster off of eBay
- bought and installed a used ECM off of eBay

I’m running out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You’ve already tried another cluster from eBay??

that should work. You can put 12v to a bare cluster no bike and everything lights up. It’s gotta be a bad cluster.

I have the wiring diagram and pin out if you want to test either cluster on the bench.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:35 AM

Interesting. Are you saying that if I put the cluster on my bench and connect 12V on Batt(+) and connect (-) to ground that the unit should do it’s boot sequence (i.e. flash all the lights countdown and send the tach up and down)?

It’s entirely possible that the unit I bought from eBay is busted.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. On my kitchen table I hooked up a little 12v battery to the batt+ and one of the grounds (both on the same connector of the two available) and it did a full boot, needle sweep, everything. I got snake bitten on a bad ECU thinking it was the cluster and now have a spare good cluster and I used the battery to test and check mileage of the cluster. You have almost every feature. I don’t remember if the FI / Neutral lights flash but I don’t think. Give it a test.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:58 AM

Neither cluster is going through the sequence. Looks like I need to go buy another one.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by CbrDan600f4i
Hi - a couple months ago my 2001 Honda cbr600f4i got caught in a flood and was completely submerged. I did a disassembly and complete clean and she runs beautifully.

The only issue I’m having is the gauge cluster is acting funny. The tach and the digital screens (speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, coolant temp, etc) do not work. The displays are backlit, but blank. The neutral, fuel injection, high beam and turn signal lights work. I’ve read a bunch of forums with cluster problems, but not this exact combination.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
- checked all fuses
- ran continuity checks on main harness and connectors
- bought and installed a used cluster off of eBay
- bought and installed a used ECM off of eBay

I’m running out of ideas. Any thoughts?

cluster issue
I’m having similar issue but mine seems to be my tach wire is not getting enough volts, supposed to be getting min 10.5 only get 8 so maybe we both have bad ground somewher

Old 10-26-2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremymrsn12
cluster issue
I’m having similar issue but mine seems to be my tach wire is not getting enough volts, supposed to be getting min 10.5 only get 8 so maybe we both have bad ground somewher

My voltages were good when I did the harness checks. I ended up buying a new cluster and it booted right up.

You should be able to check your cluster by putting 12V to it and see if it lights up and the tach spins up. If it boots up for you on the bench then you likely have a power supply or ground issue.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:01 AM
Default Tach needle not moving while ridin

Well after a little time I ran a wire straight from battery to the tach wire at back of cluster connection and the tach needle was jumpy but it did move when I reved engine . The battery is putting out correct volts so it must be a loose ground . I found one set of ground banks where here are 6 ground all together but are there others?

Old 10-27-2022, 08:14 AM

The main ground is under the seat.

Plug the + battery to the R/G wire on the cluster and the - battery terminal to the green wire. The cluster should run a sequence like this:

If it runs the sequence then it’s (most likely) not a cluster issue and likely a bad connector or ground somewhere. Also, you may want to make sure you have a fresh battery. These batteries never last and can do funny things when they lose capacity.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:23 AM
Default Tach needle not working

Now mine is a 06 cbr 1000rr but the needle will sweep correctly when key is turned on every time but it don’t move while driving or reving in neutral
but will try your suggestion , thanks

Quick Reply: Cluster Issue