F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clear Alternatives Installation - Pics Included

Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Alternatives Installation - Pics Included

So I received my CA tail integrator and went straight to work to install the thing. At first I was nervous to take the tail apart since I had never done it. Ultimately it was very easy. Disconnecting the stock light connectors was a challenge but it all came apart pretty easy.

So the first step was to look at the new tail integrator and compare the connector to what was stock on the bike. For each turn signal there is a single yellow wire on the CA light to connect to the stock connectors. I removed the stock turn signals and cut off their connectors. I then used quick-connects purchased from Radio Shack to add the stock turn signal connector to the yellow wire coming out of the new CA light. This was repeated on the other side. The whole process was simple. I also chose not to use the resistors. The flash rate was obviously faster, but certainly practical. In fact, i think the new, faster flash rate might be better. When riding I often glance down on my gauges to make sure that I didn't forget to cancel my turn signal after the last turn. With a faster blink rate I shouldn't have to look at the gauges too long.

**Side Note** I'm going to take one for team here and post the honest to god truth, even though it will ultimately make me look like a complete dumb ***. I only tell this tale because I can imagine that someone else could potentially make the same mistake as I.

Having installed the turn signals the next step was to wire brake and running lights. Here's where dumb *** reared his ugly head. I stared and stared at the connector for these lights that was attached to the CA light. This connector was obviously attached at the factory but didn't match any of the other connectors available to me on the bike. The stock tail light has two separate bulbs that each function as the running lights and brake lights. Each of these bulb assemblies had their own connector, which I expected would match the connector on the CA light. But the connector on the CA light didn't match anything. Of course there were no instuctions to help either. So my first assumption was that they sent me the wrong part, so I searched every part schematic I could find to see what this connector was supposed to look like. Ulitmately I found nothing to help clear things up.

I eventually gave up and cut one of the two tail light connectors off the bike, choosing to add my own connectors to each of the three individual wires. I also removed the tail light connector provided with the CA light, assuming that they must have sent me the wrong part. I then installed my own connector to each of these three wires. Through testing I was able to determine which wire went to which and everything worked just fine.

It was then that my buddy helped me realize that the bulb in the stock tail light actually comes out of it's assembly, leaving a perfect connector for the connector that was attached to the CA light. I had no idea that the bulb itself would come free from this piece. At this point I had already rewired everything myself, so there was no going back. However I could have saved myself about an hour had I known that. So this is the piece of knowledge that I'd like to share with all:

THE TAIL LIGHT CONNECTOR ON THE CLEAR ALTERNATIVES TAIL INTEGRATOR IS SUPPOSED TO PLUG INTO THE SOCKET WHERE YOUR STOCK TAIL LIGHT BULB GOES.

All in all it turned out pretty well.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 AM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Clear Alternatives Installation - Pics Included

nice write up kiggy. but i had a question about your dumbass "mistake". i too bought a clear alternatives stock replacement clear led taillight (no integrator). i chose this because of the plug and go ease. or so i thought. the plugs for the ca light are thin,flat plug-ins. the stock bulb sockets are the round "push in and turn" style (1157 bulbs). i too thought they were the wrong plugs and i have since installed my stock taillight back onto the bike untill i found new sockets to wire in place of the factory sockets. is this the same problem that you had? if so, where did you get the new plug ins and how difficult was the wiring? im avoiding it because of my lack of confidense in wiring. also if you could take some pictures of the plug-ins on the ca light, the stock taillight sockets, and the new wired sockets that would be great. i was having trouble finding someone who experienced the same problem as me.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:39 AM

Maybe these pics will help.

After removing the tail section this is what you are left with. You can see the two white connectors, these go to the two tail light bulbs in the stock tail light. The connector for the left turn signal is the orange one in the back.

Here's what those connectors plug into on the stock tail light:

Here are all the pieces of the stock light disassembled:

Here's the connector that comes attached to the CA light. Again, it's been removed from the light, but at least you can see what it looks like.

And there you go. The connector from the CA light plugs into the actual socket that the original tail light bulb was inserted. There are two bulbs in the stock light assembly, however the CA light only requires one of them.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 AM
Retired Mod

thank you for the response and the pics. you are great!

but the problem remains. the new light that i received has plugs that are the same as your stock bulbs. and my bulbs are different. looks like i need to convert my stock taillight sockets to the newer style for my new light to work. thank you again. very detailed, i appreciate greatly. [sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 PM

That could be, or you could return your CA light. It's possible they have another style to match your bike. (????)

Old 01-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Hey kiggy, I am installing my CA taillight into a trackbike. The OEM taillight was already removed, so I'm having to add connectors like you did. Can you tell me which wires to connect?

I'm guessing G/Y to CA Red, Br to CA Green, G to CA Black

Turn signals - solid Orange and Light blue or the white striped ones?

Thanks.

-L1

Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 AM

OK, I got it figured out last night.

F4i CA
G/Y Green
Bl/Br Red
Green Black

As for the turn signals, Orange and Light blue connected to Yellow. I can't get them to work. I don't have the front turn signals, and the headlight/turn signal wiring harness is not connected. This may affect the draw, but there should at least be power going to the rear turn signals shouldn't there? The wiring diagram shows Orange and Light blue going directly from the turn signal swith to the rear signal lights--branches off of that are the front turn signals and the dash indicator lights. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the flasher relays?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 PM

Can the pics for this installation be posted again please? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:30 PM

i wish your pics worked because i have to install my CA tailight this week.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 AM

Monkey, I just did it yesterday and it's pretty damn easy, probably on par with setting your chain tension or aiming your head lights. I'm assuming you're not a complete simpleton, so here's the steps in a nutshell...

Remove seat or seats.

Remove tail plastic.

Unplug the old tail light.

Unbolt the old tail light.

Bolt the new tail light in following the included directions.

Plug the new tail light in following the included directions.

Check all light functions (brake, running, left and right turn signals).

If the turn signals are opposite what the fronts are doing, switch the wires and if the brakes flicker or are brighter when just the rear brake is applied than just the front, plug into the other brake light plug.

Reinstall tail plastic.

Reinstall seats.

Go for a ride with the confidence that you are king ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Alternatives Installation - Pics Included