F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cleaning your bike? Washing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning your bike? Washing?

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned it yet..... HONDA POLISH!!!!

Seriously dude, it's no more work then using water and a rag... just spray the stuff on, let it sit for a min or two, then wipe it off with a clean soft cloth.... nice and clean Works much better than washing, IMO, and doesn't leave any potential water spots. Perfectly safe for any decals or painted surface

Trust me... the stuff works fantastic! My bike hasn't seen soap and water in probably close to 2 years now... Honda polish is all I use to clean it, and I ride everyday... she see's more than enough rain and wet dirty roads

Still cleans up nicely though!
Name:  DSC01963.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  DSC01981.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  106.6 KB

Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love washing my bike (becoming an every week ritual now). I use the good ol' fashioned bucket & sponge. I mainly use Meguire's products. I love their car washes, waxes, polishes, etc.

I also love the Honda Polish.........but that s**t gets expensive if you wash your bike as often as I do.

Just used a 3-step waxing "system" from Meguire's the other day........and I have to tell you........my bike has NEVER been that deep of a red before. Works great! Even though it says it's not recommended for use on vinyl decals........So I talked with a buddy of mine that owns his own vinyl shop and he says it's more of a warning for dumb people that use an electric buffer and rip their decals off. (which I can understand how that could happen.....being most people are retarded anyway)

Best advice would be to wash it similar to that of a car. Take care of the paint with automotive polishes/waxes and such.........and mind the gauge cluster with direct sprays of water from the hose. Other than that, you should be good.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Honda cleaner... it's like $6 a can and a can can last you for several washes. Usually, me and my friends will chip in on 1 or 2 cans, and clean all of our bikes at once.

+1 on the waxing. bikes looks REALLY NICE when waxed. However... putting wax on the gas tank where you knees grab on is very dangerous if you bang the turns a lot. It gets super slippery and scary... your knees just slide off.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Hey Thirdgen, I see you cut your tailend off. Looks good, but where are your turn signals? You should complete it with putting flush mounts up from too.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Hey Thirdgen, I see you cut your tailend off. Looks good, but where are your turn signals? You should complete it with putting flush mounts up from too.
I've got an LED integrator taillight [sm=smiley1.gif] Soon as I have some extra $$ to spend, I'm getting the Watsen Design flushmounts for the front too... finally gonna get rid of the windsails, hahah

Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: compulady5

My trick is when I'm not using a cleaner/polisher spray and a rag, is to put water and some dishwashing liquid in a bowl and sponge bath your baby.. as you clean sections, wipe it dry with paper towels.

Always works great for me. I'm always paranoid of frying the electronics and rusting out stuff.
[sm=insomnia.gif] You're not supposed to use dishsoap to wash bikes/cars/etc.... it's too strong and strips the wax off

Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Hey man,, They sell thoserear running/brake/signal lights all ingrated into the one brake light on ebay,, I was thinking of getting that with the fender elimator that keeps the same light, but I went with the one that has two rear lights!! I think they are like 1 bill.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM

i take mine to the car wash. the way i figure it is if i can get caught in a rain storm and be all right then i should be able to wash the bike just fine i mean you got to think honda though of this already.

i also use meguires wax and clear i use that on all my cars best wax i have ever used i think that spray on stuff is crap

hey i got chain lube all over my swing arm and i cant figure out how to get that stuff off. i tried a few things but nothing worked and im worried about using something to harsh that will strip the paint like carb cleaner. what do u guys recomend to take it off?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

i take mine to the car wash. the way i figure it is if i can get caught in a rain storm and be all right then i should be able to wash the bike just fine i mean you got to think honda though of this already.

i also use meguires wax and clear i use that on all my cars best wax i have ever used i think that spray on stuff is crap

hey i got chain lube all over my swing arm and i cant figure out how to get that stuff off. i tried a few things but nothing worked and im worried about using something to harsh that will strip the paint like carb cleaner. what do u guys recomend to take it off?
Kerosine or WD-40 will take it right off. Also Honda Polish will take it off too, just gotta let it sit and soak for a few mins and it'll come right off

You might want to try a different chain lube that doesn't fling too. I use Motorex, the white stuff, and it doesn't flign at all... real sticky and never leaves anything on my fairing. I haven't tried it yet but the Bel Ray is supposed to be real good about not flinging too

Quick Reply: Cleaning your bike? Washing?