CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Cleaning air filter w/ removing steering damper (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cleaning-air-filter-w-removing-steering-damper-105447/)

Doughboy63 01-31-2010 02:28 PM

Cleaning air filter w/ removing steering damper

So I was gonna try attempt to clean my air filter and before I had even gotten the tools together and I remembered that the ohlins steering damper was bolted where the gas tank cover is that has to come up.

I stopped right there because I didn't wanna touch the damper before asking any of you guys about this.

I never installed it/ adjusted it. It was all done by the previous owner. Would I screw anything up by removing it? Or is all the adjustment in the dial? I feel like such a rookie, but i'd hate to do something and then get on the bike and end up in a ditch lol...

rosscopeeko 01-31-2010 07:03 PM

I have a gpr rotary type damper so my opinion is a little off, but you should have no problem just unbolting it and then replacing it when you're done. It's not under pressure just sitting there, it only acts as a shock when under load. I suggest you should even play with the settings, because you might find one you like better than the previous owner.

Doughboy63 01-31-2010 07:52 PM

I might play with it more when I gain some more experience.. At the moment I've only been on the freeway once and scared myself ****less because I failed to check the tire pressure and was 15psi short in each tire... The bike didn't wanna cooperate and I wasn't really perpared for all this lol..

Since then I've added pressure, and I've done other minor things like lube the chain etc.. But cleaning the filter is all I have left to do. I'll probably work on it next Saturday then, or sometime during the week. Right on for the input!

backroad 01-31-2010 08:35 PM

Only adjustment you'll need to worry about when reinstalling the damper is to slide it in the clamp to a point where your steering goes from left to right, full lock to full lock.

As for cleaning the air filter, if it's a stock filter, it's not cleanable and must be replaced. Aftermarket filters like K&N and BMC can be cleaned and re-oiled with their cleaner and filter oil kit.

Doughboy63 01-31-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by backroad (Post 879099)
Only adjustment you'll need to worry about when reinstalling the damper is to slide it in the clamp to a point where your steering goes from left to right, full lock to full lock.

As for cleaning the air filter, if it's a stock filter, it's not cleanable and must be replaced. Aftermarket filters like K&N and BMC can be cleaned and re-oiled with their cleaner and filter oil kit.

word! Right on. :) I'm only assuming it has a filter being the previous owner did put a pipe and a powercommander. If it has a K&N I plan on cleaning it.

I thought I'd try this before buying a new filter being they run about $60.