F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

cleaner and lube?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Default cleaner and lube?

what is the best chain cleaner and lube for RK gold o-ring chain?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM

the factory stuff made for that specific chain is the best but its too pricey for me. just look for the ones saying o-ring safe and your good

Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM

I use WD40 to clean the chain. Found an experiment on the web someone did of how o-rings reacted to various substances under controlled circumstances. WD40 did not affect the o-ring at all

Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 AM

I second the WD-40, worked great on my chain that hadn't been cleaned or maintained in 10 years.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM

I use motul chain clean and this may sound weird but I use motul off road chain lube. Works great for me plus it's green so you can see how much you applied so you don't have to worry about over lubbing. Also it doesn't sling unless your going fast so normal city riding it's no sling but 70 and up it will sling some but not much.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 PM

I thought wd40 would messthe chain up? Well the o rings?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by new06f4iowner View Post
I thought wd40 would messthe chain up? Well the o rings?
Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results

And that's soaking in the substances for 24 hours

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM

The chain cleaner debate has been around for decades...even more so these days w/ many more uber-cleaners on the market.

I'm w/ Kuro on this one though. I've been using WD40 to *clean* chains since I was a boy growing up around motocross & dirt riding. I use WD40 to clean my street bikes chains as well. I only buy high quality chains. I use either D.I.D or RK Gold.

After thorough cleaning w/ WD40, I properly lube w/ quality chain lube. Currently, I'm using Pro Honda HP chain lube. However, I've used PJ1, Belray, Motorex, etc, in the past well. There are many other quality chain lubes available on the market as well. Like soft drinks, everyone has their favorite flavor.

More than the argument about chain cleaners & lubes, proper chain maintenance is even more important. So many people want to argue various cleaners & lubes but don't do proper chain maintenance at regular intervals. Doesn't matter what high quality cleaner & lube you use if you don't maintain the chain regularly at proper intervals. A good baseline & what many Honda manuals suggest, is every 500 miles. Naturally, YMMV depending on your normal riding environment (dirt/sand/weather).

Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm no chain expert, but after looking around today I cleaned my chain with WD40 (worked great) and then lubed it with the white can Liquid Wrench (it says it's for motorcycle chains, and o-ring safe.) I'm going to keep an eye on the liquid wrench, though - I haven't seen many threads about people using it, so I'm a bit wary.

Normally I use PJ1 Blue Label to lube my chain, but I lost the straw thing and didn't feel like blasting lube all over.

The 'whatever you do, do it often' advice seems clutch, tho. I'm going to set myself up reminders to do just that. I think my last cleaning was a couple thousand miles ago (*ducks*) and I never cleaned it really good since I bought it in like ... September. I'm a bad bike owner.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM

All I use is WD40.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cleaner and lube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.