F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

clean air mod questions

Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clean air mod questions

Hey guys how you doing. I have a question about the clean air mod.
I see this site has the basic tutorial:F4i 2nd Idle Mod Install and Clean Air Mod Pics - Stuntride Motorcycle Stunt Forums

have a few questions:

1. what is the purpose of this mod?
2. I see it done by most stunters, would this mod be helpful for a daily riden bike? casually with a hint of highway throttle happiness and urge for some twisties?
3. So stated in above^thread, its to prevent locking. What type of locking is this preventing?
4. Ive read in a few random threads that this mod is proven and does no damage, anyone have any proof, just curious id love to see it.
5. Ive read also that its done to prevent popping when putting a slip on, I plan on putting on a slip on. My question here is that if I put a slip on and do this mod, would I still have to remap the bike?
If anything just post a link or anything in relation to this topic, "clean air mod" that you think might be useful for me or was to you. thanks guys!

Last edited by romanboy; 05-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What is the purpose of this mod? To prevent "hydro-lock", or having your cylinders fill up with oil in the event the bike is tipped over and continues to run due to a faulty or disconnected tip-over sensor which in turn fails to automatically shut off the engine in such an event.

2. I see it done by most stunters, would this mod be helpful for a daily riden bike? casually with a hint of highway throttle happiness and urge for some twisties? No, you'll just pollute the air more.

3. So stated in above^thread, its to prevent locking. What type of locking is this preventing? Hydro (aka. liquid, in this case oil from the crankcase).

4. Ive read in a few random threads that this mod is proven and does no damage, anyone have any proof, just curious id love to see it. I've heard old timers having done this on hot rods and in the event you have excessive blow-by, the crankcase could potentially fill up with fuel vapors & explode.

5. Ive read also that its done to prevent popping when putting a slip on, I plan on putting on a slip on. My question here is that if I put a slip on and do this mod, would I still have to remap the bike? You shouldn't/don't have to remap with merely installing a a slip-on.

If anything just post a link or anything in relation to this topic, "clean air mod" that you think might be useful for me or was to you. thanks guys! Try looking at the Buell Breather Mod.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 PM

well that answered everything, really thanks incognito! now it makes sense why its more for stunters

Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, hopefully that helps. I've done a little research and experimentation with re-rounting crankcase gases so as to not recirculate them through the intake again, also with catch-cans for removing excess oil vapors from those gases. In cars it's PCV (positive crankcase valves) and on ours its the PAIR Valve (positive air intake recirculation? I think) Conclusion: gave up on the whole thing; not worth it, at least with naturally aspirated engines.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Yeah had a friend talk to me about this last night, we got into it lol, at the end I decided it just wouldn't be worth it, take care man!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM

I tried this mod using I think the same write up you linked too. In short I reversed it back to stock one day later. I don't know if it was me being overly sensitive or what, but the bike just seemed off. The exhaust smell was offensive and the idle seemed funky. Once I went back to stock I had no issues. I personally didn't feel like there was a huge reward. I don't stunt and never will so it had no benefit to me.

Just my two cents for what its worth

Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM

yeah you just backed up my current beliefs, thanks zim