CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   clacking sound at 5-6k Rpm (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/clacking-sound-5-6k-rpm-93390/)

pimpax56 05-12-2009 07:57 PM

clacking sound at 5-6k Rpm

i read other threads and half say that it can be the CCT or it can be my drive chain so i have no idea...the only thing about the CCT threads is that they say that they can also hear it at idle and i cant...but the drive chain one says it should clack alot but i only hear it at 5-6 and any lower i wont hear it any higher i wont hear it. Anyone kno what it can be?

squarepusher13 05-12-2009 08:00 PM

i just bought my bike today and noticed that sound. mine is more of a buzzing at 5k only.

loudninja 05-12-2009 09:59 PM

i put money on that CCT. the sound is akin to a coffee can with metal bbs inside.

cageless 05-12-2009 10:03 PM

I couldnt hear mine at idle only at 5k.. its gotta be the CCTL

TikkiTakki 05-13-2009 12:38 AM

Yup CCT also known as CCTL...Search this forum for those keywords and you will learn more.

andymp3 05-14-2009 10:05 PM

I just did mine...You can find them on ebay for around 60$. It called a manual cam chain tensioner for those who wonder what CCT means...

squarepusher13 05-15-2009 08:48 AM

seems like an inexpensive part however i heard if you mess up putting it in you really screw up your bike. how long did it take you to install? would a beginner like me be able to do it?

skoobydoobie 05-15-2009 09:49 AM

As long as you dont try to start the bike while the old one is off, you'll be OK. When I did mine, I already had all the fairings, tank and airbox removed, and it took me about a beer to get it done (less than an hour)lol. To make life easier, i suggest buying a 3/8 drive LONG allen wrenche (I'm pretty sure it was 5mm, coulda been 6mm), not the short ones. I used my angle grinder and cut the "L"off of a regular allen wrench, and used a socket that fit it. I just improvised, but if I had a better gameplan I'dve bought the socket set. The bottom bolt is a pain to get to without it, but its a simple job, 2 bolts in and out (well out then in), just a matter of getting to the bottom bolt. You dont need to be in a hurry to fix it, its more of an annoyance than anything. The theory is that it could possibly skip a tooth and f up the timing, causing the piston to kiss the valve, thus requiring a complete rebuild...all because of a $60 part, but I've NEVER heard of this happening.

gOtStUnTs 05-16-2009 02:26 AM

I have been wondering what that sound was for 2 years and no one could guess. Thanks for the answers.

andymp3 05-16-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by squarepusher13 (Post 784955)
seems like an inexpensive part however i heard if you mess up putting it in you really screw up your bike. how long did it take you to install? would a beginner like me be able to do it?

I would definetly bring it to a mechanic. That is something no so easy to do. The trick is to get it properly adjusted. I had help from one of my friends and he is a honda mechanic. but it's up to you...tks