CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Changing spark plugs (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/changing-spark-plugs-93327/)

Lampton64 05-11-2009 07:45 PM

Changing spark plugs

Ok...I just bought a 2001 honda f4i. I need help locating the spark plugs. I believe I have gotten close since i disconnected 4 white connectors from black pieces. After that, I took the 4 black pieces out of the engine block and now there are just 4 holes. Any suggestions for here??

amanc96 05-11-2009 08:30 PM

yeah, your in the right spot. deep in the holes is the spark plug. you just need the spark plug wrench. you should have one if you got the tool kit...

j4eric 05-11-2009 08:55 PM

do not over tighten the plugs! 1/4 turn max after handtight..... peace

Berto 05-13-2009 04:10 AM

The black things are the direct fire coils. Spend the money to get the deep well socket for the plugs. It makes things a lot easier. Also, get a torque wrench and do this right. They're not that expensive and you need proper torque throughout the bike.

Use just a light smear of anti-seize compound on the plug threads. It will improve torque setting and make it easier to get them out.

Don't know how you're accessing the plugs, but I have found it easier to go down from the top then in from the bottom behind the radiator, as the manual recommends. While you changing plugs, you can remove the airbox and do the filter, too.

Good luck with it. The local Honda shop told me that rarely change the plugs or even look at them. Damn things are expensive at $15 each. I changed mine at 13K and it was a waste of time and money.

--Paul

braddock112233 05-19-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 784017)
The black things are the direct fire coils. Spend the money to get the deep well socket for the plugs. It makes things a lot easier. Also, get a torque wrench and do this right. They're not that expensive and you need proper torque throughout the bike.

Use just a light smear of anti-seize compound on the plug threads. It will improve torque setting and make it easier to get them out.

Don't know how you're accessing the plugs, but I have found it easier to go down from the top then in from the bottom behind the radiator, as the manual recommends. While you changing plugs, you can remove the airbox and do the filter, too.

Good luck with it. The local Honda shop told me that rarely change the plugs or even look at them. Damn things are expensive at $15 each. I changed mine at 13K and it was a waste of time and money.

--Paul

+2 they are expensive as hell. also with the air box thing. thats the way i did it over the winter. i imagine you'd have a rough time trying to go around it.

j4eric 05-20-2009 09:07 PM

OEM NGK plugs at advanced auto parts...$9.99....they even have it under F4I motorcycle in their computer...

bwayers 05-20-2009 10:56 PM

usually you won't notice any problems running your plugs to around 20k miles, but if it's the first time they've ever been out i'd say it was a good investment because there's no other sign to tell you what's really been happening in your combustion chamber

i changed mine at 14k miles and could've ran them longer but they were slightly grayed from running lean, i did notice a little better throttle response immediately after the change (it was also to NGK from the stock Denso)

bwayers 05-20-2009 10:57 PM

oh btw the plugs will use an 18 mm deep well socket
but if your bike still has it's tool kit then you're good to go