CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   chain issues? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/chain-issues-127698/)

Krux 07-01-2011 03:59 PM

chain issues?

So I think might have a chain issue. I just cleaned and lubed my chain like two weeks ago. I was on ride today with my friend and he kept telling me my chain is flapping up and down. So I went home and checked and it was tight. So after I raised it up it would go tight than loose and then bind up and and loose. I assuming my chain is toast.

I just want to get another used chain since I wont be keeping the bike that long. So how do I know if I have a stock chain or a aftermarket one? Is there away to measure the width of it?

Does anybody have a picture of a stock sprocket should look like?

Anybody have a used chain that's good for cheap?

thanks

MadHattr059 07-01-2011 04:37 PM

I've got a 530 108 link chain off a 98F3. It's getting with-in 3/8"ish of full stretch, that's why I replaced it and sprockets.

Well that, and I've been sort of 'blue-printing' my baby since I got her in november. She's still a 20 footer on looks but she's just about a 1 footer mechanically.

Anyway, if it will work on your bike, I'll send it your way for just shipping. Chain and sprockets, for that matter. Couldn't sell em on e-bay/craiglist in good consience, since they ARE worn, but hey, if it'll work for ya, I'm game.

Ern

Krux 07-01-2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1074106)
I've got a 530 108 link chain off a 98F3. It's getting with-in 3/8"ish of full stretch, that's why I replaced it and sprockets.

Well that, and I've been sort of 'blue-printing' my baby since I got her in november. She's still a 20 footer on looks but she's just about a 1 footer mechanically.

Anyway, if it will work on your bike, I'll send it your way for just shipping. Chain and sprockets, for that matter. Couldn't sell em on e-bay/craiglist in good consience, since they ARE worn, but hey, if it'll work for ya, I'm game.

Ern

Will that setup work on a F4i?

So its about almost shot or it is really shot? Just curious. Let me know..

Thanks for the help bud. Appreciate it.

MadHattr059 07-02-2011 05:22 AM

I have no idea what fits the F4i, that's why I was specific about what I was offering.
Hopefully a F4i owner/guru will submit a comment on compatability. The sprockets are a steel standard gearing set for the F3, by the way.

No, the chain's not shot, it's still tight and still has some life left in it, just not sure how much. As I noted, I'm going through my bike, restore/upgrading it to perfect operating condition (or as close as I can reasonably get on a 15 year-old bike and a budget).

Ern

Krux 07-02-2011 10:35 PM

hey bud I pm'd you about the chain.

If your chain is a 525x108 which it is I'll take it bro. Can you help me with the installation? Is the chain separated or do I need anything.

boredandstroked 07-03-2011 12:13 AM

He already said its a 530 so it won't work.

redzintimidator 07-03-2011 09:18 AM

Hey - I got your IM yesterday, sorry i was on the jetski all day..lol I assume you were going to ask about this.

Well anyways, my chain does the same thing, and it has for quite a while now. I have planned on getting a new one eventually, but the one on it was a top of the line X ring chain. Not too sure why it happens in the first place. First i would check and see if your rear wheel is on right. If it is cocked left or right it might do the same thing.

Krux 07-03-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator (Post 1074551)
Hey - I got your IM yesterday, sorry i was on the jetski all day..lol I assume you were going to ask about this.

Well anyways, my chain does the same thing, and it has for quite a while now. I have planned on getting a new one eventually, but the one on it was a top of the line X ring chain. Not too sure why it happens in the first place. First i would check and see if your rear wheel is on right. If it is cocked left or right it might do the same thing.

Ok so you know what I am talking about then hahaha.

Ya I assume the wheel is on straight. What I do is count the revolutions of tensior on both sides on how much I turn them and make sure they match up with that. The tire is straight and wearing great. I can see the links cocked eye'd. Have you found any were that sells a chain not for a but load of money?

Dodgehemi7 07-03-2011 10:00 PM

Krux
I just had the same issue with my chain. Being tight and then loose when I spun the wheel. I replaced mine with new chain and sprockets and problem is solved. The chain and sprockets were 180 shipped but I figured it was worth it because I would hate to buy a 50 dollar ebay chain and have it break and fly into the back of the engine. I would buy a good chain and that way you have piece of mind. Just my 2 cents.