Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Breaker/ Chain Press

hey guys
ive finally selected what chain i need and i will probably order it tonight
now ive been made aware that i will also need a chain press and chain breaker

i found lots of chain presses, but idk about the breakers
i also found some listings that say theyre a combo pack, but i think the picture only shows the breaker.
anyone have any links to where they got theirs? and possibly if i can get them together to save money
thanks alot

here are some ive found
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHAIN...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230328197372

Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM

i'm also in need of a chain press so any info on a good one would be sweet. i'm just redoing my sporckets and chains as we speek, however i stayed with an O-ring chain because the tech at my local bike shop said that the x-ring is more so for litrebikes plus it was a little easier on the wallet

Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM

i see
yea i just took my sprockets off two weeks ago, and i have my new sprockets but im away at college about 2 hours from my parents where my bike is so im just trying to have everything there and waiting when i get home 4 spring break

alot of ppl only say anything about the press, and not much about the breaker
is the breaker necessary?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM

well the breaker is used if you need to cut the chain (which you can do with a grinder and metal cutting disc) and then press out the pin from the link so you can fit the master link into the now empty holes. so it is more so for pushing the pins out

Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM

another question is whether or not a chain press is the same thing, or will do the same thing as a chain riveter, because the chain i have says on the box that i need a "chain cutting and riveting tool"

now a tool by that name is anywhere from $70-$120 where as the chain press can be found for as cheap as $12. the upside is that my buddy said he would go splits with me if i buy the riveter

any thoughts or insights on that anyone?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM

That chain breaker and chain press that you have there on ebay will work for you. I got mine for like 15 and 20. Not really rocket science to take them off and put them back together.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=Stephens;755056]That chain breaker and chain press that you have there on ebay will work for you.QUOTE]

u mean the one that is supposed to a combo pack or you mean both of them together?

im just asking because it says the one is a chain breaker and press, but the package looks like its only the breaker, but i dont really know if that could be both in one because i dotn know much about them. so does anyone know if that actually is the breaker AND the press or do i need to get both of the items (that i put the links to above)

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who needs a chain breaker? Like Quick said, use a grinder if you have to shorten it. Thats what I used, an angle grinder (cut-off wheel to remove old chain and grinding wheel for the new) and a hammer and punch to beat the pin out. actully it wasnt a punch it was a nail setter for finish nails, but either way it worked fine, didn't even mess up my chrome. Just worry about getting the new chain riveted correctly, you dont want that thing comming undone while riding down the freeway.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Not the combo, just get one of each and that will work. The sad thing is you only do this once maybe twice in the life of your bike and then you never use them again.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM

yea, but o well ill have it for my buddies and anyone else who may need some help
better to have too many tools than not enough
thanks for the help guys
im about to order them

Quick Reply: Chain Breaker/ Chain Press