CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Certain mileage I should have my bike fully serviced? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/certain-mileage-i-should-have-my-bike-fully-serviced-121646/)

ROOKIE 09 02-25-2011 11:23 AM

Certain mileage I should have my bike fully serviced?

With spring right around the corner, I'm considering having my bike serviced. I assume there is probably like a 10k service of some sort. Bike has had two owners me being the second and I've done nothing but change the oil.
What should I be expecting for service and price? Thanks

kazspeed 02-25-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ROOKIE 09 (Post 1018697)
With spring right around the corner, I'm considering having my bike serviced. I assume there is probably like a 10k service of some sort. Bike has had two owners me being the second and I've done nothing but change the oil.

How many miles on it?

backyardmechanic 02-25-2011 11:26 AM

if i was the THIRD owner i would change the oil, oil filter, coolant and sparks because you never know what the PO's did

RoadiJeff 02-25-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ROOKIE 09 (Post 1018697)

What does the maintenance schedule in your owner's or service manual say to do for whatever miles you have on it? Depending on how long you've had it you should check that everything up to that point has been done on schedule.

Dragondima 02-25-2011 12:10 PM

Most of the guys here will refer you to the owners manual, and suggest doing on a "needed" bases. I agree, do what you think is necessary. Depends what and when the last few things were done. If you don't know, then the Sparks, oil, filters, etc. should be checked/done. I just changed my oil, spark plugs, air filter, and gave it a new chain. If it's run's smooth, and i don't feel anything wrong with it, then that's all i'll do for now.

I recommend the same to you. Hopefully that helps, best of luck!

ROOKIE 09 02-25-2011 01:01 PM

Yea, sorry forgot to mention have about 15k miles on it. I'm the second owner and the guy who owned it previously definitely babied it. So you think I should bring it to Honda and have them try and rape me completely? or just stick the the basics like plugs, air filter. I'm going to have them throw on a new chain and sprockets as well.

kazspeed 02-25-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ROOKIE 09 (Post 1018730)
Yea, sorry forgot to mention have about 15k miles on it. I'm the second owner and the guy who owned it previously definitely babied it. So you think I should bring it to Honda and have them try and rape me completely? or just stick the the basics like plugs, air filter. I'm going to have them throw on a new chain and sprockets as well.

If I were you I would get my hands on a service manual and do everything yourself. Even though my bike is only at 6k miles, I would imagine that the 15k service is pretty basic.

backyardmechanic 02-25-2011 02:54 PM

Yeah the bike sounds fine, just a basic tune up all of which you can do your self. I would never take a bike to the dealer, they will charge you an arm and both your legs for their service

ROOKIE 09 02-25-2011 05:57 PM

Alright cool. One more thing.... All the hype about K&N air filters, are there any benefits to them.

backyardmechanic 02-25-2011 07:52 PM

They are lifetime air filters and never have to be replaced, i use them on all my vehicles and they work great