F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CCTL Mod ??? Tried pin trick...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTL Mod ??? Tried pin trick...

Wellllll i tried enlarging the pin on the cctl, and the noise is back. I kept the tensioner that was making noise before and decided to take the tip out........ The tip is machined too small for the hole, when i put it back is side i can move it back and forth at lease 1mm ....... Now what im thinking is filling the gap, JB weld or something of that nature, this will make the tip a press fit....... once in i will put in another pin, and flair the ends again........

Has anyone tried to do something like this ? i would just mig weld the two pieces together and forget the pin, but im afraid that it may come apart in the engine.....

Thoughts ?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CCTL Mod ??? Tried pin trick...

did the tip have play before you pulled out the dowel?? there should be no play whatsoever or else the noise will still be there.
there's also another part on the cctl that once worn, will cause some freeplay allowing the shaft to move, causing noise.

i wouldn't do the jbweld thing as if it does come off in the motor...blah.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Honda updated the part number yet again (I think it's the 3rd revision of this part) - any ideas as to if a new one will fix it permanently?

I'd rather stick with the self adjusting if possible. (I thought I bought a new Honda one on ebay - wound up being the CCT Plastic chain guide - not the actual tensioner - lesson learned there)

Old 11-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Do you know the new part number for the CCTL?
Just ordered a new one ten days ago and I'm wondering whether I'm getting the third or the second version.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:10 AM

I put my bike in storage yesterday =-( This project may wait till spring now...

14520-MBW-J21 - The original one...
14520-MBW-J22 - 1st Revision
14520-MBW-J23 - 2nd Revision?

A nice set of instructions on how to do this (and a pic comparingthe Original/1st revision) is at:

http://www.bossturbo.com/cbr/howto_cct.shtml

Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 AM

yes, i presed the edges of the pin out and it wouldnt move when i installed it.... its making noise now but havent pulled it to see if its the tip or the shaft........ the one i pulled out originally has play in the tip but not in the shaft....

in regards to the JB i was using that mearly to bulk up the size of the tip so it is a press fit into the shaft, once pressed in a new pin is inserted.......did i explain it better ? i want to make the tip a press fit so its snug, the pin will also be modded and hopefully that will have it...

When did the new revision come out ??? i replaced my tensioner lifter about ........4 months ago.... my bike has a J23 in it...

Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks a lot!
I think I'm going to get it installed in the shop though... I've just bought my sweetie a couple of weeks ago and I have a little more work to do, the CCTL replacement is just a minor thingy.

@Carbon_cavvy: how many km before your J23 failed again?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Here's a nice cutaway of it...
http://cbrworld.net/forums/279532/ShowThread.aspx
Looking at this, it seems like it may not necessarily be a curable problem - I assumed it would have a spring acting against the plunger 100% of the time, but looking at it, it seems as though the spring turns against the screw at the end to adjust the tension, and the vibration, etc of the engine allows the screw to slowly turn in/out as needed. - It appears as though the fact that things are loose is the way it's designed, and the noise is an unfortunate side effect.

There's loads of arguments where the rattle comes from - looking at the design, it appears to me that it is either the fact that it cannot be a fast acting tensioner (like a belt tensioner for example) - so it allows some play depending on position as the engine runs... - OR it could be the shaft going into the bottom of the housing.

Seeing this makes me want to tear things around, and put some graphite lubricant on everything - see if that would "tighten" up everything and help with the rattle. - Though it too would be a temporary fix as the graphite would wash into the engine with time...

Though - seeing this also eases any worries about it causing any damage to the engine.

Looking at other threads on the topic - I'd guess you have the J23 revision... - It's been out for a while. - And on my prior post, sounds like the J20 is the original and the J23 is the 3rd revision...

I would think someone could make a plastic or rubber "condom" for the end of the tip to take some of the slack (and noise) out while retaining the auto-adjusting features... - now if only I had access to plastic molding tools...

Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Uncle_Jeff = OG CCTL guru

yo....take one out and play with it...it can only get tighter, not looser...
if the tip isn't rattling, at the base of the shaft, where the shaft contacts the cctl body/plate, you'll see a distinct line that shows wear. once this area of the 'plate' is worn, there's no way to reduce the added tolerance here and you will get noise coming from this area.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 PM

my J23 went for 3-4,000 kms maybe......

Quick Reply: CCTL Mod ??? Tried pin trick...