F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CCT gone bad... again?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCT gone bad... again?

So I went to my local bike shop because my CCT was going out, and they didn't have a replacement. So they welded a piece of metal onto my existing one to extend it, which solved the problem for about 1,000 miles or so. The CCT is starting to act up again, so... what's my next step? New CCT? New cam chain? Help me out here guys, I'm pretty clueless as to motorcycles, unfortunately. I just know how to ride one, not repair it.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rommy
So I went to my local bike shop because my CCT was going out, and they didn't have a replacement. So they welded a piece of metal onto my existing one to extend it, which solved the problem for about 1,000 miles or so. The CCT is starting to act up again, so... what's my next step? New CCT? New cam chain? Help me out here guys, I'm pretty clueless as to motorcycles, unfortunately. I just know how to ride one, not repair it.
Umm. You took it to a shop that did a hackjob and now your asking what to do? A good start would be to replace the CCTL (It's the Lifter) instead of welding chit and jimmy rigging things on the bike. My 2c

Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Umm. You took it to a shop that did a hackjob and now your asking what to do? A good start would be to replace the CCTL (It's the Lifter) instead of welding chit and jimmy rigging things on the bike. My 2c
Done deal. I'll go to the Honda dealership tomorrow morning and pick up a CCTL and see how much they want to fix it, and if it's a rip I'll take it to a local shop instead. Hopefully that will fix the problem, I don't need it to come up again in another 1k miles.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really curious as to what the shop actually welded, and how much did they charge?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Or just buy an APE manual one and never have to worry about buying a new one again. People crack me up by saying it's the CCTL and then try and jerry rig it. Just do it right.

But hey, you do your own thing.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM

I'll probably just get an APE, if I can find one locally. Sick97SS, they welded a nut and then rounded it off. I figured it wouldn't be the best fix but it was rattling so much I needed to do something, even if temporary. They did a number of other things to the bike however I do not believe they charged me anything over the cost of a CCTL to do the work. I'd honestly feel more comfortable getting a new one from Honda right now (I've found that OEM parts are the most reliable, honestly) then if it comes up again (Probably not for years, considering I've had the bike for 5 months and only put 1,000 miles on it!) I will get an APE CCTL instead.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
lol gee someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this mornin haha....

+1 to getting a new one or replacing with a manual...

Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I am not so sure that the CCTL are going bad. I read a post CBR World that the noise was due to harmonic vibrations, and I am starting to believe thats the case.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 PM

You're partially right. The noise comes from harmonic vibrations of the cam chain, which would not happen if the cctl was doing its job and keeping the chain tight. I've heard of literally hundreds of people replacing the faulty cctl with either the APE manual adjuster or the factory auto-cctl and the noise went away. Must be something to that, it can't be some conspiracy by the cctl manufacturers.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sparkman
You're partially right. The noise comes from harmonic vibrations of the cam chain, which would not happen if the cctl was doing its job and keeping the chain tight. I've heard of literally hundreds of people replacing the faulty cctl with either the APE manual adjuster or the factory auto-cctl and the noise went away. Must be something to that, it can't be some conspiracy by the cctl manufacturers.

Here is the post:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/283147.aspx

Looks like the harmonic vibation comes from the "tip" of the CCTL, and not the cam chain...

Search this Thread