F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cbr600 f4i 2002 lost keys hiss

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr600 f4i 2002 lost keys hiss

Hi there,

Have lost the one and only key to my cbr over the weekend on a very messy night, rang honda and they basically laughed at me when I told them the model of bike and told them the situation, and calmly quoted me a cool 2 grand for a new ecu and key set...

Put the phone down immediately and carried on being sick..

Done some research but now I'm stuck, from what i can see my choices are either buy a used ecu paired with the ignition fuel cap and rear tail gate, these aren't so cheap considering how common the bike is and how OLD the bike is..

Or buy a american ecu that bypasses the hiss system but then im stuck with the getting new keys.. But heard there are some potential wiring issues.

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on this and minimise my costs down and get this bike back on the road, ironically mot was booked this week and was looking to sell the bike ...

Old 06-13-2024, 10:42 AM
Received 423 Likes on 384 Posts

With U.S. ECU, you also need to buy entire wiring-harness since wiring is different. You have to add O2-sensor and EVAP system or else you'll get MIL light and error code constantly. Some people have tried de-pinning ECU connector and moving wires around. But risk is high that damage will occur and then you'll still need to buy U.S. harness anyway. Best to start with matching U.S. harness & ECU.

Yes, you'll still need locksmith to make new key from hacking ignition-switch.

These outfits can re-program ECU's ID code and match new set of keys. However, only if ECU is newer programmable kind, which I don't think F4i has. Wouldn't hurt to contact them.

https://www.motomatrix.co.uk/index.htm

https://bikedecoders.com/honda-motor...ey-programming

However, due to cost of their services and shipping back & forth, usually cheaper to just get new HISS ECU + keys + matching-locks set from breakers.

------------------------------------------ adding this for future searches --------------------------------
WARNING TO ALL OWNERS OF BIKES WITH HISS: Make 3 copies of working key and program ID to them. ECU will allow you to program up to 3 additional keys from 1 original working key! Store extras in safe place just in case something happens. DO NOT RIDE BIKE WITH ONLY ONE WORKING KEY!! If you lose key or RF-ID chip gets damaged, your bike WILL NOT START EVER AGAIN!!

Last edited by dannoxyz; 06-13-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:13 PM

Thanks you seem knowledgeable, and I like that disclaimer you added wish I would have cloned the key, hindsight is a bitch, yeah I'm going to buy a uk ecu and lock set, are there specific ones for f4i or are they all the same, is there a model number on the ecu, any idea where the actual ecu is located ? Under seat or front of bike somewhere I presume there is only one ecu module right ?

Old 06-15-2024, 08:33 AM
Welcome crew
Received 334 Likes on 310 Posts

You might be able to get the ECU re-coded and new keys supplied from somewhere like here
https://bikedecoders.com/honda-motor...y-programming/
or
https://motorcyclekey.co.uk/motorcycle-key-programming/
or
https://www.motomatrix.co.uk/lost-all-keys.html

Last edited by Al1040; 06-15-2024 at 08:45 AM. Reason: editorial
Old 06-15-2024, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

------------------------------------------ adding this for future searches --------------------------------
WARNING TO ALL OWNERS OF BIKES WITH HISS: Make 3 copies of working key and program ID to them. ECU will allow you to program up to 3 additional keys from 1 original working key! Store extras in safe place just in case something happens. DO NOT RIDE BIKE WITH ONLY ONE WORKING KEY!! If you lose key or RF-ID chip gets damaged, your bike WILL NOT START EVER AGAIN!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2006 F4i
When I purchased the F4i used about a year ago, it came with one key. Wanting to get a backup (or two) key(s), I called a local Honda moto dealership, and they said this was not something they offered as a service.

How can I go about getting spare working copies made?

(As for ecu and hiss, the bike is US and came with a Power Commander III plugged in, but I've never messed with it / plugged it into a computer / I don't even know if it is doing anything--I've left it alone since the bike runs great.)

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2024, 04:02 PM
Welcome crew

To get a new key programmed check on the web and I sure you will find a locksmith type organization locally that can cut and programme a new Key.
You are also correct that rhe US bikes do not have the HISS system
As for the bike, yep if it's running fine do not mess with it.

Old 06-15-2024, 04:12 PM

Thanks for your replys lads, spoke to motomatrix today and they said they can do it for around 260 program 2 new keys, need to send my ecu and ignition, its less hassle than messing with replacing ecu ignition fuel cap and tail gate... thanks alot, saved me a lot of grief, just the misses giving me grief now for losing my keys pissed up.

Old 06-15-2024, 04:23 PM
Welcome crew

That's great news, hope all goes well.

Old 06-16-2024, 07:14 AM

Hoping someone can confirm this is the ecu related to the hiss system, and also what is this crusty wire going into white plug, it's fed from the main wiring loom not sure exactly where it's come from, is it a repair or suspect of a bypass?

Dodgy wire..

Ecu i think ? Is it uk?

Old 06-16-2024, 07:40 AM
Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

According to the wiring diagram :-

https://cbrforum.com/forum/attachmen...89812&stc=1&d=1718161449

the wire you’re highlighting is black / white and should connect directly to earth.

Quick Reply: Cbr600 f4i 2002 lost keys hiss