CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Cbr600 f4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cbr600-f4i-156420/)

Captanron 08-06-2017 11:11 PM

Cbr600 f4i

Engine sounds like it was full of marbles so i removed it and removed the valve cover. 4 cam bearing surfaces were destroyed on cylinders 3 &4. I figure due to lack of oil. I removed the head and top of pistons look relatively good. Little carbon build-up but not bad. Do you guys think it would be ok with just installing a refurbished head? Thanks

74demon 08-07-2017 09:52 AM

Nope. The bad cam journals will not cause it to sound like it is full of marbles. There is another issue that is causing the noise, and probably the lack of oil to the head.

Captanron 08-07-2017 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1306636)
Nope. The bad cam journals will not cause it to sound like it is full of marbles. There is another issue that is causing the noise, and probably the lack of oil to the head.

I think you are correct. Pulled the pan last night and there is lots of fine metal shavings everywhere. I believe a few rod bearings might be damaged. Seems to have some that are loose between cap and crank. It would prob be best if i just look for another motor at this point.
It was a great running motor for a while.

SunBlue 08-10-2017 05:08 PM

What killed it? how many mi on it? Just curious. I had mine rebuilt awhile ago after failing to find a donor motor.

boredandstroked 08-10-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue (Post 1306732)
I had mine rebuilt awhile ago after failing to find a donor motor.

There is always 4 or 5 on ebay?

Captanron 08-10-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue (Post 1306732)
What killed it? how many mi on it? Just curious. I had mine rebuilt awhile ago after failing to find a donor motor.

Hey SunBlue. The water pump shaft was broken so prob heat and low on oil. For sure the head is toast. Not sure about the rest of the motor or mileage.
We managed to find the same year bike that was being parted out with a good motor for 150. Not too bad.

SunBlue 08-11-2017 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1306733)
There is always 4 or 5 on ebay?

I bought 2 and both were bad, returned both and I gave up after that lol

Originally Posted by Captanron (Post 1306739)
Hey SunBlue. The water pump shaft was broken so prob heat and low on oil. For sure the head is toast. Not sure about the rest of the motor or mileage.
We managed to find the same year bike that was being parted out with a good motor for 150. Not too bad.

damn. My water pump shaft broke couple wks ago too. Glad you got it figured out! That's a great deal.

Captanron 08-11-2017 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue (Post 1306754)
I bought 2 and both were bad, returned both and I gave up after that lol

damn. My water pump shaft broke couple wks ago too. Glad you got it figured out! That's a great deal.

We thought it was a great deal untill we found out 2nd gear gone in it. We were think of possibly splitting the cases and swaping out the gear sets. A whole lot of work though. Meantime shifting from 1st to 3rd for a bit.

SunBlue 08-13-2017 05:50 PM

Oh damn. How's it like riding without second gear? u miss it? haha
Let us know how you sort the issue