CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   CBR noise. Video. Don't know what this is. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cbr-noise-video-dont-know-what-111582/)

o4ep3civ 06-02-2010 10:46 PM

CBR noise. Video. Don't know what this is.

Alright I created threads in the past about CCTL. I looked up a CBR600F2 CCTL video on Youtube and the noise my bike makes is not the CCTL I can not figure this out.

This is the video from Youtube of the F2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8Sg4K3uvI

Here's my video. The Photobucket one is shorter. The youtube one is the longer version. You can here the noise at and between 6k-6,300k rpms.

Photobucket
http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/o...urrent=CBR.flv

Yoututbe Video noise starts a 2:27 also when my bike starts up are my rpms correct it seems like it move up and down 100 rpms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIxc_PQsyM

Let me know what you think it is!

o4ep3civ 06-02-2010 10:50 PM

It's hard to hear damnit. On my computer before I uploaded it I could hear it perfectly.

Combat_F4i 06-02-2010 10:54 PM

I hear it at the :38 mark of the minute long video.

It almost sounds like your clutch is slipping and the engine is going into producing more power or flattening out, but thats not the case since its in neutral..... intersting.

IceColdLGC 06-02-2010 10:58 PM

I think he's talking about that ringing noise (kinda like those old building fire alarms). You can hear it at 2:28 - 2:38 of the long youtube video.

o4ep3civ 06-02-2010 10:58 PM

You can hear it?!?! Good Because I cant unless I play it in WMP.

It almost sounds like a high pitched noise like a LOUD vibration but nothing is lose. It kinda sounds like someone ripping paper some what.

o4ep3civ 06-02-2010 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by IceColdLGC (Post 928941)
I think he's talking about that ringing noise (kinda like those old building fire alarms). You can hear it at 2:28 - 2:38 of the long youtube video.

Yes Sir.

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 12:01 AM

Anyone have the slightest idea?

vangill 06-03-2010 12:28 AM

my bike kinda sounds like that...............the whining part....
so i have no idea, thought it was normal
the 6k rpm thing, i have no idea, just dont run it constant at 6k

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 02:41 AM

Can sone confirm it's deff. Not the cctl?

Goloth 06-03-2010 03:51 AM

I doubt it's the CCTL, because with it, usually the noise or 'ticking' 'ringing' whatever you call it, (it's normally a knock or tick with the CCT first off) but second, with more RPM's the noise increases in intensity and speed, so it's most likely NOT your CCT. Umm... Not sure what else it could be, you know what actually, you might've blown a ring. I mean, I doubt it, but It's very possible. Have you checked your radiator fan? Could be something simple like that... not sure what else it could be, but I'll sleep on it and let you know if I find out more.

Thought on it a little more, I'm kinda scared it could be a rod... but I'm pretty sure they knock more... Like I said I'll look into it.

usetheffours 06-03-2010 05:51 AM

I like to think simple first... try it with only your bike key... take all those other keys off your vibrating bike. I've been wrong before but doesn't sound like cctl or a serious internal engine problem.

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 07:56 AM

The bike only has 4100 miles on it. The rings are fine bike doesn't smoke at all. The keys doesn't make the noise. The tack doesn't make the the noise. Radiator fan works fine when it does turn on there's no weird noise. Nothing is lose near the clip ons. The only thing that is weird is that it only makes the noise in that rpm range. Deff. Not a
rod. There's no knocking and the bike feel like it makes all the power. It does it in all gears. Only really notice it when the rpms come back down. I can hear it over my bike and the wind noise. The bike is stock. Fresh oil. (bike made the noise before I changed it) it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I'm pretty mechanically inclinded and I can't even pin point it. It's like a harmonic vibration/noise.

vangill 06-03-2010 09:53 AM

maybe its somthing in your exhaust or headers then

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 10:09 AM

Wouldn't you hear a leak or something?

vangill 06-03-2010 10:15 AM

i would think so but that sound is just in an odd place, what kind of exhaust do u have? u might as well tighten all clamps and header bolts-just bc its an easy thing to do and may help
sry man, im just trying to think-since last night, it might be something weird with your baffle, but the sound doesnt come through the back of the bike does it?

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 10:36 AM

No it's up in front. I'm pretty sure I can feel it in the clip ons. And I have a stock exhaust

dorklord 06-03-2010 11:15 AM

I've actually been noticing a little noise in my 03, kind of a ticking noise at certain rpms, that I assume is a bit of valve noise (but we'll see...)

I agree that it doesn't sound like anything in the lower end, as a bad rod bearing makes a fairly deep knocking sound. In the longer video, I can just barely hear a ringing noise, and I can't get the other video to play (when I click any of the buttons, it just takes me to a photobucket page...)

Maybe if you have the original videos, you could email them to someone who could listen to them in WMP or something that might have a bit better sound than the streaming youtube video? (I'd say you could email them to me, but I'm leaving for Road America in just a bit :icon_wink: )

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 07:03 PM

Anyone?

usetheffours 06-03-2010 07:12 PM

It doesn't sound like a cctl but it is curiously close to the same rpm range. Maybe someone botched a mod to it? :icon_shrug:

o4ep3civ 06-03-2010 07:31 PM

Stock CCTL. Original owner sold it with 1800 miles on it in 2008. The guy before me bought it and sold it with 3200 is 2010. The Guy before me didn't know much about bikes or wrench lol. So I don't think he would tear into the bike. He even had Honda change the oil.

It makes the noise is all gears. I can hear it over my bike. I can feel it in the clip-ons and in the foot pegs. I feels like a vibration along with the noise.

o4ep3civ 06-07-2010 10:03 PM

Come on does anyone have any idea?

xricer 11-05-2010 06:43 PM

I was just about to post about what might be the same noise. Not sure if this is what yours sounds like but mine sounds like it has a loose washer at certain rpm's. It will happen at 2k if you slowly bring it up. Also at 6k if you hold. I just bought the bike so I have no idea. It's definitely not a rod noise...it literally sounds like a washer rattling. I wonder if it's valve noise?

everyday12s 11-13-2010 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have an 02 and mine makes about the same noise at 3k and 5 k. thought it was the cctl but not sure so im pullin the valve cover off tomorow and checking the valves. if i find anything interesting ill let you know. Attachment 52464

joeroberts 11-15-2010 05:55 AM

then Noice I hear between 5->6g are your key(ring-chain-extra keys )
My bike did the same thing so now I only have My bike key when I ride.

siCk f 4 i 11-15-2010 08:45 AM

That was definitely different. Are you referring to the whining noise, or that crazy 'operating a SAW' noise? You can definitely notice that saw sounding noise at 2:28 when you were hitting the 6k rpm's. Is that what you were referring to?

That whining noise you had the entire time, that sounds exactly like my bike. I'm not even sure if that's normal or not?

Krux 11-15-2010 11:00 AM

I have had the same whinning noise with my f2,f4i and all my other friends cbr's. Its just a thing that 600's do.

As far as that rattling noise. I had the same thing. Bugged the hell out of me. It was a loose front fairing(on the wheel). There was enough clearance were if I didn't have a washer it would make a vibration. I put a washer no the bolts up front and bam it was gone.

I would assume you have a bolt that is vibrating or something that is. Nothing big. At a certain rpm you get a different frequency which can pulsate over the bike as a vibration. Remember the motor is right on top of you and doesn't use motor mounts like a car to reduce vibration.

jp_greenville13 11-15-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Krux (Post 987853)
I have had the same whinning noise with my f2,f4i and all my other friends cbr's. Its just a thing that 600's do.

As far as that rattling noise. I had the same thing. Bugged the hell out of me. It was a loose front fairing(on the wheel). There was enough clearance were if I didn't have a washer it would make a vibration. I put a washer no the bolts up front and bam it was gone.

I would assume you have a bolt that is vibrating or something that is. Nothing big. At a certain rpm you get a different frequency which can pulsate over the bike as a vibration. Remember the motor is right on top of you and doesn't use motor mounts like a car to reduce vibration.

I had the same problem yesterday. Rubber washer and it was gone. I can't hear the noise in the video but it's something to check. Also, the manifold bolts on my F2 had a way of working loose so something else to check

Veibz 11-24-2010 02:08 PM

I have a simular sound around 5500 Rpm. Sounds almost like a rattle of a keychain from vibration. It doesn't really make the noise when the engine first cranks up but after about 45sec or so it'll start to do it. Seems to be in the 4500-6500 range.

My father through the idea out there that it might have something to do with the vacuum. He took a long thin piece of metal (like the width of a screw drive) and held it to his ear as he poked around the engine (listening to the vibrations from the piece of metal) as I held the RPM's where it was making the noise.

His exact words were "I am willing to bet you there is some kind of "fluttering" device that works off the vacuum and I bet you it is slightly out of place/bent ect causing all that racket". The area of the vibration was on the engine head right behind the radiator/fan area.

To me this makes sense as a possibility for a few reasons. 1. I have gone through and the bike (with all the fairings stripped off completely) and checked every bolt, etc. 2. My pops grew up rebuilding engines for hot rods/motorcycles and spends who knows how much time and money working on his Harley every weekend. 3. It's Pops and they seem to know best.

As the winter rolls near (end of this week from looking at the weather) I will be tearing the bike apart to go into more depth regarding this issue. If there is some kind of vacuum device that flutters or not...hell i dont know. but I am going to find out

The bike has been making the noise since I bought it with 7K miles on it... 8K miles later I have never had an issue with the bike so I dont think it can be anything TOO bad but it is an annoying lil noise. Good luck and as I find out anything I will certainly give you a heads up

BC-Lefty 01-08-2011 06:58 PM

My 929 has a similar sort of rattly ringing noise on deceleration when going from about 6k to 4800 or so. Haven't narrowed it down yet, unfortunately :(

Someone mentioned it might be clutch springs, but I would imagine that clutch noises would sound like they're coming from the clutch cover. I could be very wrong though.