F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR F4 Fi light/performance trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR F4 Fi light/performance trouble

Hey,

I have a 2002 CBR F4i and have just started having this problem. When I am riding, my fi light comes on and goes off every now and then. It will only stay on for about 3 or 4 seconds (at any speed), but when it's on the performance drops and the engine acts like it's getting little to no gas. The bike has shut off on me three times in the last month when I was at or coming to a stop. I always just crank it back up and everything is back to normal for a while.

One time when I was slowing down to almost a complete stop, I felt the bike start to cut off, so I pulled in the clutch and started hitting the throttle to keep it on. It didn't go dead, but it only muttered when I turned the throttle instead of revving up.

If this is something I can fix, I'd really like to avoid having to take the bike in to get serviced. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CBR F4 Fi light/performance trouble

check your battery connection first, sounds like it may be loose.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM

sounds like the battery cables like tahoe said... if it were more serious the FI light would stay on... my buddy had the same problem on his 750 gixxer due to his cables being coroded....

Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the battery cables, and they were both tight and are very clean. If one of the battery terminals becomes disconnected, even for a second, wouldn't that reset my clock on my display? My clock has never been reset while I have experienced this problem.

I do think something may be loose because the light seems to flash on when I go over speed bumps or something else that jolts the bike. The bike has only shut off when I slow down, and when it does, everything is exactly as if I just turned the iginition to the ON position. All I have to do is press the starter and it fires right back up.

Is there anything else that I can check before I am forced to take it in?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM

It wont reset your clock if its only for an instant. Energy doesnt disperse emediatelly. Also thats the only thing I could think of is it would be the battery terminals because my bike was doing the same thing and i noticed that the engine at idle would cause it to do that and when I was riding, every time I hit a harder bump than it would do that.

Also, you might check the kickstand shut off sensor and the kill switch. The wiring might be a little worn or something and might be getting loose.