F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

cant figure out whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant figure out whats wrong

ok so long story short, I bought a salvaged bike 2 years ago, brought it down to frame and rebuilt it, ran perfectly fine but was at the end of the season so let it sit all winter. just dug it out from the back of the garage, blew off the dust put a new battery in and drove it (in the back of my truck) to Vermont, because NY wont register salvaged bikes, got all the paper work done got the plate on and brought it home. Started up first try, no problems, let it run for a while to clear out and then shut it back off. went inside for a few hours came back out to ride it around the block a few times to slowly break it in, started it up, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and started sputtering and backfiring so shut it off, went to go start it again and wont start. sounded like it flooded after trying to many times, so let it sit...still no start...disonnected the battery to see if it would reset anything...still wont start. took the whole **** apart took out the spark plugs, cleaned them all, checked them all for spark, let it sit over night to dry out, put it all back together today...still no start!!!!! i have no idea whats wrong with it and cant see anything else that could be wrong. it just really sound like no spark, but the plugs are fine, it tries to start so i know its not the battery. any ideas??? oh yea and by the way im a girl...so when responding dont use technical terms lol

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Default RE: cant figure out whats wrong

I had this same problem with my 06 f4i, only had around 1000 miles on it, started fine , shut it off came back little later no start. I finnaly just held it wide open for a few seconds while cranking and it sputtered untill it cleared out then ran fine.??? Never realy figured out why, but never happend again.
P.S.
pics would be nice, if you have any of the bike that would be good too.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: jstew600

P.S.
pics would be nice, if you have any of the bike that would be good too.
I second this [8D]

If it tries to start but doesn't crank over then it could still be the battery, but since you just put in a new one not sure what the problem would be. Check the connections just in case.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 PM

sounds like its out of gas....

have you checked out your fuel supply lines, and your actual gas tank. gas tanks are known to rust, rust getting into your fuel filter and injectors can cause you some issues

Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM

thanks for the responses. Heres the pics you asked for, both are kinda bad but all i have on the computer sorry.

i dont think its the battery cuz like i said i just bought a new batt. on fri. so i dont think it could possibly be dead by now

and as far as the gas response goes....i may be a girl but im not that dumb lol, i think i would know if it was outa gas lol, but thanks for the other info

Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM

what I meant was that it wasnt getting gas, and I didnt know you was a girly

Old 05-11-2008, 07:58 PM

And a beautiful girly at that.

Does it crank and doesnt start, does it not crank at all?

I would start at the begining and check your battery connections. Make sure nothing is loose because that could cause it to not get enough power to start. If you have a voltmeter use it and test what the battery is at then test what it goes to when u crank, shouldnt drop below 10v i believe.

Try free things first then see what happens, does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Do all the guages work? Does it make any weird sounds.

P.S. Im the idiot who should be telling you to check your fuses in case i forget lol

Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 PM

yup checked the fuses there all good. batt has full potential, everything turns on fine gages are perfect all lights are on, fuel pump primes, it cranks and shoots out some smoke that smells like gas but just wont get into a complete run. gunna try to get some new spark plugs at work tomorrow and try that

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Well theres 3 things u need to start an engine and usually if you check the basics thats what else u need to check.

Fuel,air, spark. If your sure your getting fuel (you could disonect the coils and crank it once then check to see if theres fuel in the cylinders) then my next bet would be spark plugs.

Probably sat around too long and collected moisture then just running it for a few minutes to load it up is never any good especially after storage. They could just be soaked with fuel.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 PM
gr8

I think its ur plugs. Try cleaning/drying them one more time and use a heat gun or some thing. When i was parting my f4i together i got it runing and turnd it off befo it got to operating temp and it didnt want to start after that. I got it runing becasue i cleand the plugs with Qtips and used a heat gun. I know its a pain to take them out but its cheaper then paying $11 per plug.

Quick Reply: cant figure out whats wrong