F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

cant downshift when coming to a stop?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cant downshift when coming to a stop?!?!

another thing to add. if u can't get into gear when ur at a stop... say for instance when ur in Neutral at a stop then light turns green then you try to shift to 1st, try rolling the bike forward a bit. you'll hear a click. sometimes it gets stuck but u just have to do that in the mean time.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:15 PM

What is this shifting you are talking about? Our bikes have more than one gear?! That's normal you're not supposed to shift from 6 to 1 when stopped. Not only is it really difficult and a PITB to do but it also makes you look kinda stupid like you have no idea what you're doing when you're sitting at a light and it turns green and you're stuck there trying to get the bike into first gear. I know from experience....

Mike

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 PM

What i have to do sometimes is slightly let out the clutch and then start down shifting but i will usually start downshifting before a stop, say into 3rd and the down into first before i stop.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 AM

seems to be a problem, also trying to kick out of neutral, or find neutral at a stop

Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Am I the only one here that doesn't use the clutch to downshift? (or upshift half the time for that matter...)unless of course it isa fairly fast stop and rapid downshifting is necessary...

Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Banned

Happens to me once in a while, I don't remember the circumstances. Usually after it happens, the upshifts feel very rough, it goes away if I accelerate HARD and shift fast. Is it your technique, is your left foot slow? Maybe the tranny gets confused if it isn't handled a little rough...kinda like my ex-wife/

Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM

how are these things a problem? i discovered all of this on my first week of riding on the punk@ss f4Iand assumed them to be normal. it this happens often if you come intoastop or red light at a higher gear.

for example; this willl happen if you come in to a dead stop while in 3rd and disengage the clutch and start shifting down. you might gear into 2nd but you will not hit 1st if you dont release the clutch a bit while you are in 2nd. < this is very common!
btw, you should never have this problem of lowering gears while the bike is moving. so if you are slowing down, clutched in, and gearing down; you should not have any problems. which leads me to beleive that either the clutch springs are out of wack on the f4is or something to do with the basket. < just a thought

honda trannies are not know for their legendary percision

Old 08-04-2007, 01:01 AM

I just let out the clutch a little bit and it will slip right into gear. Its happend to me forever, since my bike was new I'm fairly sure.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM

same here.......just release the clutch slowly till u feel like its going to stall and youll hear the clunk of the gear catching and you s hould be good from there.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Worst case scenario, downshift like a car. Pop the gearshift down , let out the clutch, pull it back in, pop down another gear, let out clutch, pull in, gear down again, etc.

If you pull in on the clutch, you should be able to downshift into first as long as the bike is moving.

Quick Reply: cant downshift when coming to a stop?!?!