CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Can headlight bulbs be replaced without removing (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/can-headlight-bulbs-replaced-without-removing-91292/)

jharbinson 04-12-2009 09:20 PM

Can headlight bulbs be replaced without removing

any plastics??? I have two new bulbs to install and read that you have to take the front fairing off. Anyone done this without removing plastics?

Aken 04-12-2009 09:40 PM

You don't need to remove plastics to change the bulbs. Just go look at your bike, you'll see.

Liquidpjear 04-12-2009 10:57 PM

Yeah you can get to the dust caps very easily without removing anything.

Luck Runs Out... 04-12-2009 11:00 PM

You guys are all wrong... it's a bitch. You have to take your tank and airbox off, and come up from underneath. It took me about three hours, and next time, I'm just taking it to the dealer.

Aken 04-12-2009 11:23 PM

Quiet you :D

Liquidpjear 04-13-2009 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Luck Runs Out... (Post 770319)
You guys are all wrong... it's a bitch. You have to take your tank and airbox off, and come up from underneath. It took me about three hours, and next time, I'm just taking it to the dealer.

Sounds to me like you are doing it wrong.

NitroNut 04-13-2009 10:44 AM

I did not need to remove the upper cowl to replace the headlight bulbs on my 2001 F4i. It only took 4 minutes to replace them both. Please refer to page 19-4 (pg. 464) and 19-5 (pg. 465) of the 2001 - 2003 Honda CBR 600 F4i Service Manual.

It says to:
1. remove the air duct cover.
2. release the resonator chamber from the hook arm.
3. disconnect the headlight bulb connectors.
4. remove the dust cover.
5. unhook the bulb retainer and remove the headlight bulb/socket.
*If you touch the bulb with your bare hands, clean it with cloth moistened with denatured alcohol to prevent early bulb failure. *
6. remove the headlight bulb from the socket.
7. install a new bulb into the socket.
8. install the new headlight bulb/socket aligning its tabs with the groove in the headlight unit.
9. hook the bulb retainer into the headlight unit groove.
10. install the dust cover tightly against the headlight unit with its arrow mark facing up.
11. connect the headlight connectors.
12. hook the resonator chamber to the hook joint.
13. install the dust cover.
repeat for the other side.

Rotory2F4i 04-13-2009 08:36 PM

You can get at them w/ the upper on, but it seems like more work to me. I just assume remove the front fairing, less than 5 min to take off and less than 5 min to put back on. IMO it is easier that way, also insure that you dont get any oil/dirt on it.

Stephens 04-13-2009 11:35 PM

When you take your bike to the dealer, have them flush out your flux capacitor too. lol

The headlights can be changed without removing the fairing, but its easier to do to take it off. And you don't want to touch the bulbs with your fingers. The oil on your fingers can make the bulb explode. If your going to change your bulbs, put in an HID kit.

jharbinson 04-14-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stephens (Post 770817)
When you take your bike to the dealer, have them flush out your flux capacitor too. lol

The headlights can be changed without removing the fairing, but its easier to do to take it off. And you don't want to touch the bulbs with your fingers. The oil on your fingers can make the bulb explode. If your going to change your bulbs, put in an HID kit.

LOL... I checked it out and its simple. I had read that plastics had to be removed and didn't realize the dust cover pulled off. I don't have the money for HID's unless you know where I can get some pretty cheap....