F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cam Chain Tensioner, WHAT!?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Chain Tensioner, WHAT!?

OK, here's the story: just bought a 02 600F4i with just over 10,000 miles and perfect fairings. Life is good. I'm still a bit of a newbie, but the bike checked out fine when I bought it, and all was well UNTIL i get this little rattle. I have two techs listen to it and they're split between 5 hours of labor plus parts, or a random rattle. I change oil, but getting into motor stuff freaks me out. Any hints on a diagnosis, or am I stuck with the shop on this one?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Default RE: Cam Chain Tensioner, WHAT!?

im 90% sure its the CCT.. its normal...i have the same rattle and i am planning on putting a APE manual one in when i have the time.. the rattle will not hurt the bike at all. its just really anoying! [:@]

Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 AM

could be the cct, but it would help if you were more specific
does the rattle occur all the time or only at certain RPM's?
the CCT(L) usually rattles around 5-6k RPM's
if it rattles at all RPMs there could be a more serious problem

Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 AM

Could someone define this 'rattle' a little more clearly? I havent heard anything I could call a 'rattle' from my bike. Maybe im just used to it, or maybe im listening for the wrong type of sound.

What i picture is the sound of a chain dragging over a peice of metal and being rpm dependant.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like bb's in a can...and usually, when in first, take it up to 8k, you'll hear the rattle and feel the vibrations from the rattle under the tank, next to the right knee area...as you let off the gas completely and let the bike engine brake, you will likely hear the rattling and feel it getting worse as it approaches 6K and maybe top out around 6-5K, then slowly go away as you get to lower RPMs.

changing the cctl doesn't take 5 hours of work, i can do it in 30 minutes to replace a stock one...for APE...it's a pain.
there really is no use for APE as long as you know what's up with the stock cctl and the things that need correcting on it and do it.

as far as getting into the engine...don't be afraind mang...you're not in the engine at all!

t

Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM

holy crap +1 on the APE being a pain
i can't get anything in that tight area to adjust it without removing the tank and airbox, even then its still a PITA
i actually just bought one of the newer Honda CCT(L)s and am about to install it now just cause i'm sick of adjusting the ape
mine keeps backing out no matter what i put on it and i've tried everything from red loctite (the strong stuff) to gorilla glue and that damn thing keeps backing out
I thought about safety wiring it but gave up on that idea when i thought about safety wiring in that tight of an area

Old 09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey mang...i think people who constantly have to adjust APE should install longer fuel lines too so you can take the tank and sit it way to the side.

what is up with your APE? mang?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 PM

How often are you adjusting your APE?

I havent touched mine since installation. I just cranked the lock nut down and have forgotten about it. No locktite, nuthing.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the tips. Indeed, it seems to be the CCT. Seems I have one more winter project now...

Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

hey mang...i think people who constantly have to adjust APE should install longer fuel lines too so you can take the tank and sit it way to the side.

what is up with your APE? mang?

holy motherf'in crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had a major disaster today with the fuel line, I had the tank moved over to the side like you mentioned with the bike cranked and I was adjusting the APE when the tank slid a little more off of the side of the airbox. I didn't think anything about it and took a couple more seconds to get the CCT where I wanted it, looked up and noticed the fuel line has swollen up where it connects to the fuel rail (the tank had pulled the hose so much to the side that it pinched off the fuel flow) so I reach over to straighten it up and the hose bursts in my face!!! gas all over my freakin head, in my eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair etc I was completely covered in gas and my fuel line was f'ed. Worst part is that I'm supposed to leave for a trackday (2 actually) at Barber tomorrow afternoon. Nobody in town can fix it because the collar is metric and not used on much of anything but these bikes and no shop within a thousand miles has one in stock so I'm paying out the @ss to have one overnighted to me and hopefully I'll be able to get the bike back together tomorrow so I won't miss what is one of my last weekends at the track this year

oh and btw while I had all day and couldn't put the bike back together I popped in the new automatic one so I won't have to deal with this crap until this one goes bad. the reason the ape was backing out was because i've got a pretty bad vibration problem that I still haven't traced (definitely nothing to do with the cam chain though), if I get that worked out I might put the APE back in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner, WHAT!?