F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schmitty0077
Do you have to worry about the rain getting into the airbox through the ram air ducts. Or is it not really a sealed system?
Its a street vehicle, i cant see honda making it that way.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bonafide
And to think I passed my MSF course in a thunderstorm; "taking the curve" and "emergency braking" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be--still scared me a little.

Even though the whole ride was an experience, to me, the worst part was the fogged-up visor--"Damn, if I could only see." As said above, when I cracked the visor just to de-fog the visor, it felt like I was ride through a swarm of bees.

I've seen/heard the gimicks, but do fogless visors really work--especially in weather like that? Now, that will be a good investment for me.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised on how well the F4i handled in the rain; I frequently went through 4in puddles and the handling was superb. One thing that I did was NOT use the front brake at all; figuring hydroplaning starts at the front wheel.

(btw, I did lube the chain this morning before going to work.)
Try some " cat crap " for the visor fogging issue. Works really good. While you are in motion, your visor will only fog momentarily for about 1-2 seconds and it fades away. But, i have found that sitting at a light me visor will fog up quite a bit unless i crack it open a bit until in motion again.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:08 PM

"Cat crap"? I hope this ain't the literal translation... (LOL, not!)

Have anyone tried wiping the inside with saliva; I remember scuba-divers do it to prevent fog in their goggles. Would it work for helmets?

Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM

There you go then, looking for some rainy weather with a mouth full of spit... LOL.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM

I hate riding in the rain but it seems to happen alot, but it is fun to spin the back tire and drift the corners. also I keep my visor just barely cracked open and it doesn't fog or let the rain in.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:05 PM

"Cat Crap" can be found at a number of websites. I bought some for paintball goggles. It worked ok. Spit worked less well. Both might work just as good on helmets though because with a motorcycle helmet on you aren't running through the woods ducking in and out of cover, tense from the prospect or bunkering someone or being bunkered!

I wouldn't worry about a bit of moisture getting into the air ducts. The moisture will turn to steam in the engine....Just don't pour it in and you'll be fine.

We had a lot of rain here in Utah last month and I was driving (car) home to SLC after work and saw a guy under an overpass on a GSXR. I couldn't see more than two cars ahead of me and it stayed that way for at least an hour. He probably was under that overpass for a while!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'VE ridden in the rain before on the street & track but not a down pour.
Bike seems to handle the wet just fine.
A few years ago I was doing a track day @ Autobahn Country Club in Joliet,Il. Labor Day weekend and it was raining in the am. Intermediates go out first so out I went onto the wet track.
Wasnt so bad just had to gradually increase speed as I felt more comfortable. Ended up ripping down the back straightaway on the South course at over 100mph, splashing thru small puddles & the bike felt fine. Just kept increasing speed thru the corners 'till I ended up doing a 2 wheel slide thru T3 right to the curb,on the gas, then said "OK that's fast enough!"

Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by hondajunkie
Just kept increasing speed thru the corners 'till I ended up doing a 2 wheel slide thru T3 right to the curb,on the gas, then said "OK that's fast enough!"
hahaha. That'll make your *** pucker. That is riding though.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 AM
June 2011 ROTM

I was caught in a big rain once before. I had the visor fogging up and then just the rain on it blocking my view. After that I went and got some rain x. Works like a charm