CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   is buying a used race bike a smart idea?? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/buying-used-race-bike-smart-idea-123177/)

PAf4i 03-29-2011 06:32 PM

is buying a used race bike a smart idea??

So i used to have an 01 F4i and i used to love that bike but i sold it to "upgrade" to a better bike, which ended up being a regretted decision, 636's handle like ****, but i know someone selling an 01 f4i race bike. he bought it with 3k on it and raced it for about 4k and said he took care of it changing the oil every other weekend but he has gone down on it but claims no frame damage. i have not looked at it yet to check out how it runs and looks but do you guys think buying a used race bike is a smart idea? i wont be using it for racing, im gonna convert it back. So is it a good idea or is it smarter to stay away from race bike? he wants 1800

PlayfulGod 03-29-2011 06:41 PM

at that price its worth checking out. Alot of race bikes are taken care of better than most street bikes ;) and not down as often either lol

spoolie25 03-29-2011 06:46 PM

its all depends you have to go over the bike very well . there i a post about what to look for, i think some where on here. and dont be afraid to ask questions again and again some times you will get people to slip up and say things that they are tring to hide. it will all come down to you doing what you feel is right . most bikes have been down . and think of it this way i have a few friends that beat the snot out of there bikes. i mean very well takin care of . but riden hard .

PAf4i 03-29-2011 06:54 PM

i know its been down a couple times and since its been raced its deff been rode hard, my old f4i i rode really hard but took care of maintinence wise and it was a solid running bike. it seems like the f4i's are good at taking abuse lol. The price is really what drew me in because i honestly wasn't even looking for a new bike because i totaled my 636 last season and broke my femur and back but im getting the itch really bad haha

iJapanesey 03-29-2011 07:19 PM

My biggest pet peeve is a squid that wants to turn a track bike back to street. I bet this poor guy got 1236217834623879641 hits on converting it back to street. If you don't know anything about track bikes, don't get one. The majority of them are kept up well beyond street bikes.

PlayfulGod 03-29-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1032270)
My biggest pet peeve is a squid that wants to turn a track bike back to street. I bet this poor guy got 1236217834623879641 hits on converting it back to street. If you don't know anything about track bikes, don't get one. The majority of them are kept up well beyond street bikes.

lights, mirrors and a tag n whala lol

PAf4i 03-29-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1032270)

no he never had it posted to sell it, he works where i work and he was talkin to me about it and about racing and eventually i asked him if he'd ever sell it and he told me he'd sell it to me. besides plastics and lights its basically the same as stock, and the front end is set up for racing but he has all the stock parts so its easy enough to swap. i'm guessing you dont know much about track bikes because their essentially the same thing except suspensions set up different.

Aken 03-29-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by PAf4i (Post 1032283)
i'm guessing you dont know much about track bikes because their essentially the same thing except suspensions set up different.

Great way to start your reputation around these forums...

PlayfulGod 03-29-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 1032308)
Great way to start your reputation around these forums...

lol I was sitting on my fingers on that one ;)