Buying a bike, Is this normal???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just find another one man dont mess with that hassle

Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 PM

find another bike.

I would never hand someone cash for something unless there was a fair trade involved. IE you get the bike, he gets the cash.

On top of that, he sounds like he's trying to force you into it considering he's "taking it to a dealer."

don't mess with it.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM

He now said hes going to pay it off with his credit cards, then when the title comes in he will contact me again. In the meantime he said I was welcome to come take a look at the bike. If he has the title in his hands, I will feel much more comfortable doing business with him.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM

I know I wouldn't pay my bike off w/ a credit card. Why would I go from a personal loan of say 5-9% to a credit card of 15-20%. The only way I would consider it is if my card offered zero % interest and I knew for a fact I was going to pay it off in time.

Looks like this bike may not be for you w/ all the hassles so far. Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one that will put a twinkle in you're eye and it will be love at 1st site

Moses

Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0
I know I wouldn't pay my bike off w/ a credit card. Why would I go from a personal loan of say 5-9% to a credit card of 15-20%. The only way I would consider it is if my card offered zero % interest and I knew for a fact I was going to pay it off in time.

Looks like this bike may not be for you w/ all the hassles so far. Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one that will put a twinkle in you're eye and it will be love at 1st site

Moses
If the seller is going to do that then who cares? Ragnar doesn't care how the seller pays it off as long as he has the title when he hands him the cash. I don't think the seller is trying to screw you but I also wouldn't give any money without having a title. The only thing I worry is if the seller pays the bike off, gets the title, and you find another bike in the mean time. He'll be pretty pissed, but it's not like it would be your fault.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnar1x
He now said hes going to pay it off with his credit cards, then when the title comes in he will contact me again. In the meantime he said I was welcome to come take a look at the bike. If he has the title in his hands, I will feel much more comfortable doing business with him.
Absolutely best that the title will be available. Never buy a bike unless you get the title at the same time you pay for it...period. Its the only way to absolutely CYA.

Sure, go look at it. At best, you're interested & you work out a deal. At worst, you get practice at looking over another bike for purchase.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with what has been said.. you said that this is a 'private dealer'.. so it is just a shmoe like anyone else.. not a dealership.. a real dealer would not have touched that bike unless the title was clean, or they would have paid it off so that the title was clear and available.. this is not worth it.

if this guy contacts you and shows you a title without a lien on it.. then you might consider it.. until them... he can scratch..

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Registered Users

Just an FYI if he has a loan on the bike he couldn't walk in pay the loan off and walk with the title the same day most lenders require the title be sent back to the DMV and re-issued with them off of it (as in not listed as a lien holder). There is a risk when you buy something from a seller without a title however as long as you had a bill of sale the bike should be eligible for a temporary registration which is usually good for 30 days and usually only cost around 10 bucks. If you do decide to buy the bike and take the risk make a deal with the guy work something out maybe get him to knock off some cash for your troubles. I recently bought my 07 R1 with 1300 miles on it for $2500 bucks because of the same issue, just got to wheel and deal em I got my title clean and clear last month saved myself over 5k. Good luck either way.