CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Burnt smell up front.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/burnt-smell-up-front-117180/)

siCk f 4 i 10-02-2010 08:13 AM

Burnt smell up front..

For the last 2 days, I've noticed this burnt smell in the front when I'm sitting on my bike and leaning forward/down. I don't know exactly where it's coming from. I first noticed the odd smell when I got out of work 5:30 in the AM, (VERY MILD RAIN). I thought it would go away but today again I smelt it. Could t be the clutch is going out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

Hope it's nothing too serious :icon_emm:

yellowcbr 10-02-2010 10:22 AM

Well, it could be a whole bunch of things. If you feel the clutch slipping or not engaging/disengaging then it could be that but you dont see the clutches going on this new a bike, that is if you can drive it right. But it also could be a small oil leak from the oil filter gasket because that sits right over the headers and when oil drips on hot metal, you will get that smell. i would remove the fairings and check for anything that looks abnormal. Hope this helps.

gotcbr 10-02-2010 10:45 AM

A leaky radiator will cause smells too. Whatever it is, find it fast!

Zero1080 10-02-2010 10:56 AM

It could be a wiring issue. What kind of smell is it?

siCk f 4 i 10-02-2010 05:54 PM

Zero: I wanna say rubber but I highly doubt that, I'm definitely gonna look more into it. If it is a wiring issue, where would be the best spots to look at? my pops is a genius with wiring. That what his job revolves around all day.

Gotcbr: Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think I have any leaks though.

yellowcbr: Thats true, but it has 27,xxx miles on on it already. The previous owner/s could've been poppin it up, nd wearing out the clutch easy, it doesn't feel as stiff as my brothers RR, even when adjusted. Also, I'll look into a small oil leak, I'm aware of the location of everything, I did an oil change a couple weeks ago and replaced it with top quality synthetic racing oil/K&N filter. I'll look into it again though if something may have gone loose.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna look into it today. I just wanted to see if there was anything specific you guys had in mind right away.

oxyg3ne 10-02-2010 09:46 PM

water on the exhaust manifold will smell weird for a few minute until its dry ...

manny04 10-02-2010 10:28 PM

jus read this thread, i've also noticed a sort of burnt smell but like wires or plastic, ill jus keep riding, i dont think its anything serious.

siCk f 4 i 10-03-2010 08:13 AM

coo, coo. Thanks for the input guys, Oxyg3ne, if you're right, that may be what was causing the smell. However, the next day was a normal day, and started it up and smelt it a bit so I'm still unsure. Manny, yeh, I'm doing the same thing until I finally get some time to look into it. Very busy these days and I love riding as my main transportation <3

P.S. Today, I didn't smell it at all, before and after work.. so +1 so far.

Zero1080 10-03-2010 07:40 PM

I'm starting to think it was just oil on your headers.

siCk f 4 i 10-03-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 973490)
I'm starting to think it was just oil on your headers.

Well, the oil change was done about a month ago, and it never made a smell since 4 days ago.. so I'm not sure if it's from that. If it possible for oil to drip if the oil change was all done correctly, and tightened right? hm