F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Broken Coolant Drain Bolt???? Help ASAP

Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Coolant Drain Bolt???? Help ASAP

Hey Guys,
So I was changing the coolant on my bike and I was tightening the coolant drain bolt and over tightened it and it snapped in half.
I dont have a torque wrench and I didn't think I was tightening it that much ut it snapped inside.

How do I get it out?
Is there any way to plug it till I get to bike shop?

Thanks guys

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it broke off flush, your gonna have to drill it and use an ease-out. If ya got anything hanging out, vice-grips might help.

If you do drill it, keep a magnet next to it and collect all of the shavings, cleaning often, till you penetrate so you don't get any pushed into the system.

As far as plugging it, I think you should just wait till you repair it or you risk whatever you use as plugging material getting into the engine or popping out and losing all your coolant. That's bad for your engine and the neighbor's pets.

Tough break, might not have been your fault. Coulda' been the gorilla that was there before you weakened it.

As an aside, torque wrenches have gotten a lot cheaper than they used to be. Consider budgeting one in vs broke bolts and warped covers. Heck, put it on your amazon wish list for b-day or x-mas. ;-)

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM

Well Im quite pissed I found out about the easy-out and grabbed one and when I was drilling I just short of getting it to catch so I drilled a little more and the stupid bit broke.
So know the bolts stuck with a drill bit in it.

So I think I am totally screwed now?

I think my 2 routes are see if someone can weld a nut on the end so it can be taken out which I dont think is the greatest idea inside the water pump or maybe get a new water pump or housing?

Either way Im pissed that a easy task turned into to such a hassle.

End Rant

Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this may be a bit off topic as it doesnt relate to the broken bolt, but whenever I change the coolant in my bike, I just put the bike on stands, put a pan under the water pump, then remove the main hose coming from the radiator (disconnect it right there at the water pump so it drains the radiator and the pump) Its a hell of a lot easier that way and quicker too!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by skameigh
Well this may be a bit off topic as it doesnt relate to the broken bolt, but whenever I change the coolant in my bike, I just put the bike on stands, put a pan under the water pump, then remove the main hose coming from the radiator (disconnect it right there at the water pump so it drains the radiator and the pump) Its a hell of a lot easier that way and quicker too!
Well I wish I would have nown this way a couple hours ago instead of the service manual