F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brake rotors

The rear rotor will pick up more dirt and debris than the front, and therefore you will end up with more scoring of the rotor surface through regular riding. My general opinion is that even if the rear rotor is totally shot (e.g. under spec thickness, warped, scored, etc) it will still work as long as you have pads, and pulsation under braking isn't as much of an issue... in fact it's sort of like free ABS, in a bastardized sort of way.

On my old SV, I was using an F3 rear rim, and that thing still had the original OEM rotor on it... it was so badly grooved, at first it wouldn't provide any braking even under load from the rear caliper. Eventually the rotor broke in the surface of the pads so that they mated properly, and I regained braking. Since I wasn't using my rear brake that much, it didn't bother me. If you're a heavy rear braker, you just need to know that it takes a while longer for pads to break in if they're mated to a rotor that has an uneven surface.

the blonde weasel

Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM

thanks for all the replies. This helps immensely, and also saved me some cash.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Just remember a coouple of things when you have to change your rotors,
1. change it with a tire so the wheel is properly balanced.
2. always change your brake pads (no matter how much pad is left) when changing rotors, because the old grime, dust and wear pattern will score the new rotor reducing its effective-ness
3. always replace the mounting hardware, these are a very critical fastener and ensure they are properly locktighted.
4. clean your caliper pistons/pucks while disassembling for the best possible stopping power.
good luck!!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: redbull95

Just remember a coouple of things when you have to change your rotors,
1. change it with a tire so the wheel is properly balanced.
2. always change your brake pads (no matter how much pad is left) when changing rotors, because the old grime, dust and wear pattern will score the new rotor reducing its effective-ness
3. always replace the mounting hardware, these are a very critical fastener and ensure they are properly locktighted.
4. clean your caliper pistons/pucks while disassembling for the best possible stopping power.
good luck!!
1- Not req'd
2- Not req'd
3- Locktite yes, replacement not req'd
4- Of course

You Sir, must be an auto mechanic. I'd say European autos???

Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM

good guess!but what I work on isn't that reliable (I wish) I am a Service Advisor for Harley.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM

good guess! but what I work on isn't that reliable (I wish) I am a Service Advisor for Harley.
I never understood harleys....all that displacement and noise so little horsepower.....
Name:  C94EAA34BBC94CE89B1B711E23BB134A.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  68.4 KB

Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM

LOL!!! Dude I will pass this out on my last day!! I get so frustrated with my clientel. but I always park my honda and triumphs right in front of the dealership so all the customers can see what a real bike looks like.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good guess!but what I work on isn't that reliable (I wish) I am a Service Advisor for Harley.
Sorry to make fun at your expense, but[sm=bangbang.gif][sm=boosign.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=interesting.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=loser.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=closed.gif]

But hey at least you have a job in the M/C industry, right???

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 AM

good guess! but what I work on isn't that reliable (I wish) I am a Service Advisor for Harley.
Harley has a factory in Kansas City right???.....thats where I am from. You by any chance from KC???

Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: travsstuff

Harley has a factory in Kansas City right???.....thats where I am from. You by any chance from KC???
I would give anything to work on or around bikes, hopefully when I am done with school, I can do that.....One more year, and I will officially have a piece of paper to hang on my wall that calls me an engineer.

Quick Reply: brake rotors