CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Brake lights on integrated tail (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/brake-lights-integrated-tail-118818/)

samras121 11-20-2010 08:16 AM

Brake lights on integrated tail

I recently bought a 2002 f4i. looks good, a few stripped bolts here and there, needs a cam chain tensioner but everything else is great. except for one thing. The brake light stays on. I rewired everything and it is still on. What could cause this? could it be the switch not opening from either of the brakes?
one more question, you know when you turn on the turn signal, is supposed to tick like it does in a car or truck?
Thanks in advance

Turbulenz 11-20-2010 08:34 AM

First thing, check the brake pedal (rear) perhaps the switch needs to be adjusted... if nothing else, disconnect the harness from the rear brake switch to see if the light goes off.

I think mine clicks very slightly.. but with the lid on can't hear them... not sure...

samras121 11-20-2010 08:46 AM

i took the spring off and it still was on. ill try that again and push up on it. Thanks. If it does need to be adjusted how would i do that?

Survivalism 11-20-2010 11:17 AM

Look in the service manual if you have it, it will show you how to adjust the back brake switch.. kind of hard to explain.

If you hear clicking from your turn signals i would say that the PO replaced the turn signal relay with a digital unit to stop the bike from having turn signal problems ( most likely fast flashing / super fast flashing on braking ) The original relay did not click at all i believe but i replaced mine with a digital one and its got a healthy click to it.

samras121 11-21-2010 08:36 AM

im pretty sure its the stock relay. its a normal speed and no clicking. I dont have a manual on hand but i found a pdf online so i will look. What abouth the front switch? would that just be a replacement?

Survivalism 11-21-2010 11:06 AM

I would have to go look at the switch on my bike but i believe the front switch is not adjustable and basically wont go bad unless something really bad happens.

Make sure your lights are wired correctly, if the lights are always on bright i would assume that the running wire is not hooked up correctly. I had a hell of a time figuring out the wires when i hooked up a trailer converter to my targa.

samras121 11-21-2010 12:15 PM

I am pretty confident the wires are correctly hooked up. I unhooked the front switch and the brake lights came off. I pressed on the rear brake pedal and nothing appened until i pressed it all the way down. I took off the front brake lever and hooked the switch abck up. the lights came on. Its the front switch and the tab it pushes in, moves freely. Thanks for all the help guys. Ive been on a lot of forums before and this one is definately one of the best

Survivalism 11-21-2010 12:21 PM

Wow good work / my bad! Sounds like the rear brake switch needs to be adjusted. You may be able to take apart the front switch to clean it instead of buying a new one.

samras121 11-21-2010 12:24 PM

Yeah I', going to adjust it. I might try to do that since the honda shop near me is closed on sundays. If I can do it by bedtime I'll just go buy one