F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Brake Fluid specifics???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid specifics???

What is the stock brake fluid that I need in my 04 F4i? Is it the same for both front and rear reservoirs? Should I stick with a specific brand or are they pretty much the same? How much will I need to do both reservoirs?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Brake Fluid specifics???

Sure someone knows, i havent had to mess w brakes as of yet. You can always call a local dealer?my guess is yes its the samefor both res. Did "search" bring up anything? if you havent tried that yet give it a shot.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:17 AM

It says right on the resevoir cap what you need. standard DOT 4 brake fluid. If you aren't sure about your brakes don't mess with them they are your life. Take tham to someone who knows them. You shouldn't need to add fluid to your brakes unless you bleed them. If your fluid is down it may indicate that it is time for a pad change (again don't do unless you know what you are doing).

Be sure to keep the fluid off your painted surfaces. It will strip paint like you wouldn't believe.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

+1, def wouldnt mess w brakes unless you've done it before or know what your doing etc.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 AM

DOT 4. get the small bottle. will take care of both front and rear and have alot left over its about 5 dollars a bottle

Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I've done alot of bleeding I can say that it's not difficult. Speedbleeders make the job even easier. Make sure to buy the thread stuff they sell. It wears out ever so often, and it's handy to have it right there when you need it.

If you opt to not go with speedbleeders, I'd recommend the MotionPro one way valve. It has the hose and valve all in one kit.

I also have ditched the standard fluid and use Valvoline Syn fluid. I got a good deal on a large bottle.

Change your fluid when it get's dark. Use a large cotton towel (bath towel) and cut a square out to fit over the MC. You will have to turn the bars left or right depending on the task at hand. 2 people make the job go better and safer, one to pour and watch fluid and the other at the caliper.

Pour the fluid slowly and away from the piston hole as to keep air bubbles from entering the system. If you have any doubt about bubbles the Motion Pro tool excels here.

FWIW, I use the two simultaneously.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM

I am going to replace my brake fluid. hasnt been done in about 2 seasons. A friend of mine is going to help me. ii just got to get the **** first

Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM

SpeedBleeders are a must...

https://www.riverwayracing.com/store...t=0&page=1

I would also recommend AMSOIL Brake Fluid. It has a high boiling point and is one of the best out there.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/de...spx?zo=1520619

Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Dot 4 or 3. If you can find 5.1 that will work as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
WOT

I think it's pretty easy if you set everything up properly before you start... just an old mason jar and some tubing is all you need. Speedbleeders are nice to have but you don't need them. Don't mix brake fluid types.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid specifics???